chapter thirty four

chapter thirty four - july, 1985

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The three girls were at Max's house, having a sleepover. Eleven was getting changed in Max's bedroom, the red haired girl was grabbing some comics downstairs and Alex was in the bathroom, brushing her teeth. The blonde was wearing a pair of black shorts underneath and oversized nightgown that went to her knees. It was a light blue shirt with white clouds on them. Alex finished brushing her teeth then stared at her reflection, trying to figure out what was wrong earlier today. Shaking her head, the blonde walked out of the bathroom and climbed into Max's bed, sitting next to Eleven. Max joined them with a handful of comics in her hand and sat next to Alex, putting the blonde in the middle. 

"Which one?" Max asked, holding up a Wonder Woman comic in one hand and a Green Lantern in the other. 

"I don't know," Eleven said as Alex shrugged, trying to work out what was wrong with Billy. When Max noticed the concerned looks on her two best friends faces, she put down the comics and looked at them. 

"Hey," Max said, causing the two girls to look at her, "there's nothing to worry about anymore, okay?" Eleven nodded but Alex wasn't so sure.

"It doesn't make sense," the blonde said. 

"What doesn't make sense?" Max asked as Alex sighed.

"The whole situation," the blonde said, "Heather. The blood. The ice."

"Heather had a fever, so she took a cold bath, but she's better now," Max said, trying to think of a reasonable solution, "that has to be it. I don't know where that blood came from, but. . . . we saw her. We both saw her. She's totally fine."

"What about Billy?" Eleven asked as Alex leant back against Max's headboard. 

"What about him?" Max asked confused. 

"Something was wrong about him," Alex said, "the way he was looking at us. It didn't feel right."

"Wrong is kind of like his default," Max said chuckling, "but it's nice to know he's not a murderer, because that would've totally sucked." She chuckled as the other girls chuckled. Eleven looked down and pointed at the Wonder Woman comic. 

"Who. . . . is that?" Eleven asked as Alex grinned. 

"This, my sister, is Wonder Woman," Alex said as Max picked up the comic. 

"AKA Princess Diana," she said as Eleven rested her head on Alex's shoulder, "she's from Paradise Island, which is, like, this hidden island where there are only women Amazon warriors. . . ."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Do you copy? This is a code red."

The next morning, the three girls were rudely woken up by Lucas practically yelling at them from the radio. 

"I repeat, this is a code red," Lucas said again, "Max. Do you copy? This is a code red."

Max scoffed and leant over to grab her walkie-talkie off the floor while Alex and Eleven, both half-asleep sat up with messy hair and tired expressions. 

"Shut. Up." Max said sternly as she pushed the antenna down and turned it off. She rolled back over and the two girls fell back onto the pillows, clearly wanting more sleep. They had about a minute more sleep before the phone rang. 

"You have got to be kidding me," Max scoffed as the blonde climbed over Max and walking to the phone that was on her desk. She stormed over to the phone, her blonde hair a mess and picked it up.