thirty-four

Vittoria let her body lie flat on the long stretcher as multitudes of lights flickered past her eyes, effectively blinding her for nano-seconds at a time.

Her breaths were constantly being interrupted by throat-burning coughs that plagued her health.

The IV in her arm poked at her veins and the itchy hospital sheets rubbed her skin red.

Her vision faded slowly as the blinding light beamed down on her, giving her a sense of peace.

She slipped into a void of tranquility, as a memory played on the matte of her brain.

13 year-old Vittoria winced slightly as she ran the alcohol over her cuts.
Apparently when you're being trained to shoot by your kidnappers you're not supposed to shoot directly at them.
Who would've known?

She huffed, crossing her arms realizing she couldn't reach the cuts on her back.

She leaned over to where Killian was rifling through the rations they were provided for the week. His tongue slightly bulged at his cheek as he concentrated on finding Vittoria's favorite snack, hellbent on saving it for her.

"Killian." She tapped his shoulder, making him instinctively jump but turn around.

"Ria." He greeted back.

"Could you patch up my back? I can't reach." She asked nervously, fiddling with the sports bra strap.

"Yeah! O-Of course." He instantly replied, cheeks staining a red hue.

She handed him the alcohol and the bandaids, gathering her long hair in her scarred hands and pulling it away from her injured back.

He settled his warm hands on her shoulders making her flinch, but relax seconds later.

He ran the drenched cotton ball over her wounds, frowning when she hissed at the pain being inflicted.

He cleaned her wounds as gently as he could,
rubbing his hand down the side of her body as a silent apology.

Goosebumps awoke in his trail as she turned around a grateful smile on her face.

His face was incredibly close to hers, and she could feel his breath hitting her face.
(Thank the lords they had toothpaste in this hellhole)

"Thanks." She whispered grabbing the supplies from his hands.

"No problem." He whispered back bumping his nose with hers making her giggle and scoot back.

The two sat in silence, relishing in the sounds of doors closing, waiting for their siblings to be thrown in.

"Do you ever think about what were missing on the outside world?" Vittoria suddenly asked turning to him.

"Like what?" He chuckled facing her as well.

"Normal teenage stuff!" She huffed "Like going to malls, sneaking out, and going to parties." She threw her hands up, frustrated, but the sheer curiosity still laced her hoarse voice.

"Hell I haven't even had my first kiss." She chuckled bitterly running her hands through her rough hair.

"I haven't either, if it makes you feel any better." He offered weakly, trying his best to let her vent.

"Girls at my school used to make it seem like a big deal." She noted "Like it was the only way to ever be a teenager."

"Well that's never going to happen now-"