Three: Gone, Part One

She was wrong.

Jerani was still there the next morning. In fact, he'd helped Jean make breakfast. Dani had come rushing down the stairs, grabbed an apple and toast from the table, greeted Jean and Jerani and rushed to the door. With her hand on the knob, she froze and turned around slowly.

Jerani was sitting opposite Jean, shirtless, smiling...

Dani walked back to the table reluctantly. She forced a smile at the intruder. "Morning, Jerani..."

He nodded once. "You've already said that."

"Yeah, you have." Jean said and sipped her tea. She was still in her nightgown.

It was then that Dani noticed how well cleaned the dining room was. The living room was no exception. In fact, even the bathroom had looked clean and washed this morning. It all came rushing back as she stared harder and harder at Jerani. The small hall, the windows, the stairs, the small carpet at the end of the staircase...

"Did... you clean the house, Jerani?" She asked slowly, guessing the answer.

"Yes, I did. I wanted to do yours but I didn't want to wake you. Maybe I can do it while you're at school. That's where Jean says you're going."

"No!" Dani almost shrieked. The thought of him being in her room terrified her. Whether or not he could sense emotions, she wasn't taking any chances. "No." She said, more calmly. "I'll do it myself."

"Oh don't be such a wuss, Dani." Jean said and reached across the table to pat Jerani's hand. "Help yourself, dear."

"Stay out of this, Jean." Dani hissed. "This is my room."

"And this is my house."

Dani was about to go into battle mode when there was a honk from outside. She walked to the stainless glass window and pulled the white curtain aside. Gabe and Jeremy were outside in the red Ford Mustang. The morning sun made the car look even redder.

"I gotta go. Jerani, stay out of my room." After a pause, she added, "please." Then she re-grabbed her lunch and walked out. She almost ran down the stairs, desperate to escape the mad house she called home. As she got into the car, she heard her front door open.

"Dani, you've left your phone!" Came Jerani's loud masculine voice. He strutted over to the car and handed her her phone. Dani snatched it hurriedly.

"Thanks. Let's go, Jeremy." She said, trying to pretend a shirtless guy wearing her jeans and no shoes wasn't standing beside the car.

"Aren't you going to introduce us?" Gabe asked, giving her a look she knew was curiosity.

"Yeah, who's this guy?" Jeremy said. Something in his voice made Dani's heart leap. Could that be... jealousy? Or was he just curious too? For some reason, she felt excited.

"Oh, my name is-"

"Ian!" Dani blurted, giving Jerani a wink, hoping against hope he would understand. "His name is Ian. He's Jean's new boyfriend."

"Oh." Gabe said. "Nice to meet you, man." He held out his hand. "I'm-"

"Gabe, and this is Jeremy, I know." Jerani said with a light smile. "I've been watching you guys."

Jeremy frowned and Gabe sent Dani a questioning look. She tried to laugh it off. "Oh don't mind Ian, he's such a comedian. Jean's been saying it since last month."

"How come you never told me about him? You always tell me everything." Gabe said, slightly hurt.

"That's because I only landed on Earth yest-"