Nine: Disobedient

Days sluggishly passed till it was Friday morning. Dani hadn't gotten much sleep over the past few nights, not with The Summit's invitation card just beneath her pillow. She did what she did everyday since Ian had given her the card that evening; she pulled it out to study. Sitting up and putting a lock of hair behind her ear, she gently brushed the red card with her fingertips.

  The card was folded, with the words YOU'RE HEREBY AN INVITED GUEST TO THE SUMMIT written in an elegant gold lettering inside. No wonder people were begging to be invited. The card alone made you feel special. Dani remembered the conversation she had with Ian when she got back from Jeremy's;

  "Did you get it?" Was the first thing she said when she got back home.

  Ian had been watching television without a shirt on. He nodded and went upstairs, Dani at his back. His temporary room had been messy; the floor was hardly visible, being blocked from sight by the clothes Jean had bought. Books on astronomy and galaxies theories were wide open on his bed, almost like a bedsheet. The windows were open, allowing in the evening's warm air. Ian picked the card from his bed and handed to Dani.

  Dani snatched it (careful not to touch his fingers)  and opened it, reading the words inside. She beamed like a madwoman. "Finally. Oh and, thank you, Ian. This was extremely helpful."

  "You're welcome." Ian smiled and proceeded to leave to go back downstairs but she stopped him;

  "Was it that easy?"

  Ian turned around, raising an eyebrow. "Pardon?"

  "This." She held up the red card. "Was it that easy? You just walked up to him and told him to invite you?"

  "Actually no." Ian came closer, and Dani tried to stop herself from staring at his nipples. "I sat beside him, asked him how he was doing and when we shook hands, I knew exactly what to say."

  "And what did you say?"

  "I told him that it wasn't bad to be different. That there will always be different people and things among crowds and groups. I told him that he couldn't change who he was or become something he's not."

  Dani folded her hands and made a face of confusion. "Ian, what are you talking about?"

  Ian stared straight into Dani's eyes and said; "He's bisexual, Dani, and he's afraid his gay side is much stronger than his heterosexual side. That's why he needed Sandy Baker; to keep his mind off that side. But Jeremy stole her which is also the reason why—"

  "—Gabe didn't get into the team, I know that part already." Dani said and sat on Ian's bed, trying to process what she'd just heard. "Oh my god, I didn't know. He doesn't seem like a... you know...."

  "Gay person?" Ian suggested, sitting beside her.

  "Yeah." Dani looked down at the red card. "I feel terrible. We got this card by blackmailing him. Not directly but still. It was his secret and it was used against him."

  "You're wrong there." Ian said. "After I told him that, he denied it and laughed at me. I think it was because his friends were close by. So we made another deal; he said he needed me to recommend him a girl of his type and since I took that list of Sources in this town, I know a good number of girls that might like him. That's why I took him outside; to show him an address. He added that in case it didn't work out, I would still owe him and I promised him I would. After that, he gave me the card."

  "A girl his type?"

  "He isn't going to take my advice, Dani. He wants to find another girl to take Sandy's place. Humans are so intelligent, yet so stupid." Ian sighed and shook his head. "What you are is who you are, and what you're not is not you."