Twelve: Real

"W-w-what do you mean? What's wrong with my phone?" Dani stammered as she got to her feet, backing away.

  Kolo leisurely got to his feet, approaching Dani like a tiger, his smile cold and deadly. "You called me Kolo... you sounded so fake when you said it. And you did so just after you took out your phone."

  "That could mean anything."

  "Okay, why are you scared then?"

  "I'm not scar—"

   "BOO!!"

  Dani screamed and covered her face with her hands. They were shivering terribly. She heard Kolo laugh, getting closer and closer...

  "You look so cute when you're scared." Kolo grabbed her wrists just when there was a voice behind them.

  "Dani! There you are! I've been looking for you all over the party."

  Dani looked over Kolo's shoulder to see Ian walking towards her with a stern expression. He simply ignored Kolo as he took Dani's hand and pulled her behind him, using his body as a shield.

  "Is something the matter?" He asked. Dani had never seen him looking so serious before. There was no hint of the quiet innocent Ian Jean had taken in.

  Kolo smirked. "You must be Tim. She thinks you're a real loser. Said you can't keep it in your pants, that true?"

  "I'm aware she thinks I'm a loser but that doesn't change who I am. There are all just words. And my name isn't Tim. It's Ian Starfall. You're making Dani feel uncomfortable, so I suggest you take yourself elsewhere."

  "I don't like that attitude, boy." Kolo said. In a blur, he'd removed a knife from his back pocket and pointed it at Ian's throat, several inches apart. "Now listen up, I'm going to take a look at that girl's phone, probably take back my stuff, and leave peacefully, got it?"

  "If you check the phone, you'll leave?" Ian asked. There was no hint of emotion in his voice. It reminded Dani of a robot.

  Knowing that if Kolo got hold of her phone it would all be over, she squeezed Ian's arm and shook her head heavily when he glanced back.

  Unfortunately, Kolo saw it too.

  "You lying b*tch! I knew you were recording—" he started to move past Ian when all of the sudden, Ian hooked his arm around Kolo's neck.

  Kolo began to struggle to breathe but Ian's arm wasn't weakening. He dropped his knife ( it landed amongst the brown leaves and figs ) and wrapped his fingers around Ian's arm, turning red in the face as he struggled desperately to breathe. The whole time Ian was staring straight into Dani's eyes.

  "I-i-ian. You've gotta let him breathe."

  Stoically, Ian answered, "This is what you made me do, Dani. I made a promise to Jean to look after you, and the promise made this guy an enemy. I have to do what it takes to keep that pro—"

  "IAN, STOP! YOU'RE GONNA KILL HIM!!" Dani screamed; Kolo's attempts were getting weaker and his eyes were beginning to roll up. His mouth was open in an awkward manner.

  Dani met Ian's eyes again. They were so cold and empty; she was certain that something was terribly wrong.

  "Stars can't break promises, Dani. I'm sorry." He said it in such a normal manner like he wasn't strangling a man to death.

  Dani glanced at the knife on the ground and dashed for it. She cocked her arm and plunged it into Ian's arm hooked around Kolo's neck. But Ian simply glanced at the knife like it was a bug, ignoring the fact that it was five inches deep into his arm.