Seventeen: Tension

Tuesday evening after school, Jeremy had to practice with the swimming team so he gave the car to Gabe to drop Dani off. The only reason Gabe didn't have a car yet was because Lucinda believed no one under sixteen should have one. She promised Gabe when he turned seventeen he would get the one of his choice. Gabe hadn't been able to stop talking about it for weeks.

  While they listened to Bad Blood by Taylor Swift, Dani remembered something.

  "Hey, why aren't you in practice today?"

  Gabe turned down the volume and glanced at her. "Oh. Coach didn't come to school today, said he was busy. Also, Tyler's pretty much still pissed about me being on the team, and he announced there would be no practice today."

  "I wish I could've seen his face the day you walked into that field."

  "I got you; just imagine the faces of those students when they saw that Carrie had telekinesis."

  Dani nudged him. "Stop that, you know I hate that film."

  Gabe sniggered. He turned up the volume again and speed forward.

  Moments later, they were at Hawk's Eatery, sitting in their favorite booth with their food and smoothie on the way. Dani went through her phone while Gabe drummed his fingers on the table. Dani glanced up; she knew Gabe was holding something in. She could feel it.

She sighed and put her phone aside. "Okay, spill it."

  Gabe looked surprised. "Huh?"

  "You clearly need to get something off your chest. So spill. What do you want to ask me?"

  Gabe chewed the inside of his cheek. "I—i guess I just want to know if you're okay..."

  "Gabe..." She placed her hand on his cheek, "what are you worried about? I thought you said you were okay with it."

  "I know, I know," he sighed and closed and opened his eyes. "I just feel really nervous."

  Dani drew back. "Give me an example of how you feel."

  "Like explain...?"

  "Yeah, or you could use something else. A metaphor or whatever."

  "Let's see, let's see..." H drummed his fingers on the table as he thought. Then he clicked his fingers. "Imagine I have a cool car and you like that car too. But this car has a problem; it keeps changing tires while the driver is in the car. Now, I know about this problem and I warned you about it. However, you still want the car..."

  "Go on."

   "Now, you are driving this car around happily but I'm not happy with you; I'm scared. I'm scared that this car might suddenly change its tire in the middle of the road and you might get seriously—"

  Dani clasped his hands on the table. She smiled at him. "That's what makes you an amazing friend, for caring. But what if this car likes this new driver? What if it's willing to change for her? How will I know if I don't test him?"

  "But you'll get hurt!" Gabe argued.

  "I have to take a risk every once in a while, Gabe."

   "And I understand but—"

  "But what, Gabe?" Dani said loudly.

  "But not with him!" Gabe banged his fist on the table.

  The restaurant went quiet. Everyone turned to stare at the two of them.

  Dani and Gabe sighed in unison and leaned back, staring at the ceiling.