Fourteen: Light

Breakfast was awkward that Saturday morning. Dani had wanted to avoid it totally but Jean refused to let her out until she ate something. It was a rule she'd made as soon as she had become the breadwinner of the family. Jeremy had left in the early hours of the morning; he'd bumped into Jean at the doorway who later walked to Dani's room, shaking her head slowly while trying to hide a smirk.

  "You naughty girl..." She'd whispered.

   Silence reigned on the dining table as they ate their slices of bacon. Ian was pretending to be so interested in his meal—or was he? Dani couldn't tell. He'd never eaten bacon before. Last night felt like a dream but there was no way she would forget how terrified she'd been when Kolo asked for her phone.

   Jean on the other hand was eating and maintaining eye contact. She had a small smile on her face as she swallowed. She began licking her fork. "I bet you did a lot of this yesterday night."

  "Oh my god, Jean! What the hell!" Dani covered her face with her hair.

  "Were you guys safe at least?"

   "Yes, yes!! Just stop. Geez..."

  Jean chuckled mischievously. Then she got serious. "Is that why you didn't call me last night? I was expecting your call starting 8:58, but nothing came in."

  Ian and Dani shared a glance. Dani quickly shook her head at him.

  "Yes. That's the reason." She said. "Jer and I were just talking before we... you know..."

  "Banged?"

  "Can you stop it?" Dani deadpanned.

   Jean chuckled loudly. She put her fork down. "Okay okay, I'll stop. I'm just so proud of you. You're gonna be a badass like your sister, you just wait."

  "Do I have two sisters?"

   "Very funny." Jean said dryly, standing up and heading to the fridge. "Ian, do you want some — what the hell? Who drank all the orange juice?" She pulled out the empty jug.

  "Um, Jeremy!" Dani rushed to say before Ian could open his mouth, "he was really thirsty mid our ... time together."

  Allowing Ian to admit he had been the one would lead to further questions and now that Dani knew he really couldn't lie, she wasn't about to take that chance. Jean had to find out from her.

  Jean shook her head. "How am I not supposed to make fun of you now?"

  "By not saying anything and acting your age?"

   "Oh please." Jean said as she put the jug in the sink, "you know that's not possible."

  Dani rolled her eyes. She drew her eyes to her plate, only to find Ian very close to her. He'd placed his elbows on the edge of the table and leaned closer.

  "Why are you lying to her?" He whispered. "I thought you were going to tell her today."

  "It's like you said, who knows how she's gonna react. I was nearly driven off the edge of sanity and you had to fly me up more than fifty feet to calm me down!"

  "What are you two whispering about?" Jean said, cleaning some glasses. A bottle of red wine sat on the kitchen counter.

  "Nothing. Just telling Ian to stop being so weird." Dani said, maintaining eye contact with Ian who looked annoyed. It was kinda cute.

  "Then why does Ian look like his dog just died?" Jean said, setting the cleaned glasses down.

  "Uh..." She couldn't think of anything to say.