Ten: Party

"I still think this is a bad idea." Jean said later that evening as Dani walked down the stairs, wearing a brown leather jacket, purple shirt, and blue jeans. On her feet were brown boots. "But you look so darn sexy."

  Dani smiled proudly. "Thank you, Jean. And I promise," she took her sister's hands in hers, "I'll be careful."

  "I'm only trusting you cause you're taking Ian with you. Where is that handsome strange, by the way?"

  Dani narrowed her eyes at Jean and sighed. "He should be down any minute. You'd think he was going for a wedding."

Jean chuckled.

"While we wait, there's something I've got to tell you." The two sisters went into the dining room, pulled out two chairs, and sat down.

  "What is it?" Jean asked.

  "Sheriff's Gary is going to be coming here to see Ian. He didn't mention when just said he would be dropping by."

  Jean smirked. "I better be in sexy clothes that day or else!" Then she turned serious. "Wait, to see Ian? What for?"

  Dani shrugged. "He kept asking me questions about where we found Ian, what Ian thinks he is, what I think about him and all—"

  Jean grabbed Dani's hand urgently. "Please tell me you didn't tell him we found Ian in the woods."

  "Um..."

  "Oh no. No, no, no, no."

  "What's the big deal?" Dani exclaimed.

  "When we went down the station, I heard some rumors about people coming down to town to see what the rock was all about. Some cops actually believe that there was an alien inside. I wanted to smack them. When sheriff Gary asked me where I found him, I said I didn't; Ian just walked up to our door and asked for food. Now he knows I'm lying."

  "Why didn't you tell me about this?"

  "I didn't know he would question you too. How did you even meet him?"

  "I took a ride in Austin's truck. Jeremy left me behind, he isn't happy I'm coming to the party."

  Jean sighed and covered her face with her hands.

  "What are we scared of exactly? We know Ian isn't some silly star like he says he is."

  "Trust me, we may know that, but those blockheads will not. They'll take his words for it. Ian could get hurt before he's reunited with his family. Plus let's not forget, there's not one injury on his body to prove the meteor affected him—"

  "I know right? It's so strange!"

  "What's so strange?"

  Jean and Dani jumped and turned around; Ian was standing at the last step. He wore a big brown hoodie that had a cartoon teddy bear at the pocket, blue jeans, and red sneakers. For some reason, his hair was still wet. Dani was speechless; he looked very cute, but there was no way she was going to admit it. Jean, however, was another case.

  "Oh my god, you look so good, Ian. Hell, I think I should go with you guys."

  It was a joke but it still made Dani's heart skip.

"Thank you, Jean." Ian said, humbly. "It's a bit cold outside so I thought I'd wear what you bought me." He pinched the hoodie to indicate it was what he was talking about.

  Jean was smiling like a madwoman. "And you're very welcome, Ian. Mind if I take a pic?"

  "Oh my god!" Dani exclaimed. "Jean, this isn't prom, stop being so embarrassing."