Thirteen: Knowledge, Part One

Dani knew they were getting closer to town because she could hear dogs barking and she could also see lights through the slits of trees. Ian had gone back for his hoodie; although it was dirty and spotted with dead leaves, he still wore it. The time was 10: 52pm. Jean was going to kill her.

  "Should we tell Jean about what happened here or..."

  Ian shrugged. "I've never hidden who I am from you guys. I'm just afraid that she'll see me as something dangerous too, the way you looked at me while I held that man."

  "But that's the thing; you didn't just hold him, you were strangling him. I was frightened." Then a strange thought appeared in her mind, making her hesitant to say it out loud, "Ian... have you ever killed someone before?"

  "No. I've never been to Earth before now, I've told you this."

  "I know, I know." She sighed as they finally stepped out of the woods. The path to their house was short. "I guess we should stop calling you Ian now— since Jerani is your real name."

   "No no no, you made a point the day you named me. Ian Starfall is my earthly name and Jerani is my cosmic name. I've noticed how some people react when I say my name is Jerani."

  "People like who?"

  Ian stopped in his tracks. "That man right there." He gestured with his head.

  Dani turned to look. It was her neighbor, Nelson Burns. He was old but not that old. Nelson had a scar on his cheek, with one eye shut. His notorious German Shepherd, Beth, was growling at Ian and thankfully on a leash.

  Nelson had a good build; if his white hair and beard were dyed, he would look like a big young man. For as long as Dani could remember, the man had never had a wife or kid. It had always been just him and his dog. Dani could remember that her father used to be friends with him. No one could figure out how it was possible to be friends with such a despicable old man. There was a rifle with a strap hung over his shoulder. He shone his blinding torchlight at them.

  "What are you two doing out this late at night?" He inquired. His dog was going mad, foam gathering in its mouth as it barked at Ian. Its black eyes wouldn't budge from him.

  Dani held a hand up to cover her eyes as she replied; "it's not that late, Mr. Burns. And could you please stop blinding me?"

  Nelson shifted the torch but didn't turn it off; he was shining it at Ian now and strangely enough, Ian wasn't protecting his eyes. He looked straight into the light, unblinkingly.

  "You again." Nelson snarled at Ian. "Still believe you're a freaking star?"

  Dani chuckled nervously, her heart thumping rapidly. "Don't believe him, he loves messing around. He's really Jean's patient. He was released from the hospital weeks ago and is currently staying with us. Can you take the torchlight away from his eyes?"

  "He doesn't seem to mind." But Nelson switched off the torch all the same. "Oh for god's sake, shut up, Beth. It's just a kid. What's so different about him?" The dog quieted down, whining, and Nelson turned his attention back to Dani; "So you decided to take him to a party?"

  "Nothing wrong with a bit of fun." Dani said, shrugging.

  Nelson frowned. "You guys better be careful in these woods, haven't you heard of that alien business?"

  Dani felt like she knew a powerful secret which no one else did, and of course she did. "Yeah, we've heard. That's why I went with him. And you?" She gestured at his rifle, "what's up with the gun?"

  Nelson smirked. "I and Beth here were just going for a little squirrel hunt. Nothing like roasting meat in the woods to keep you calm."

  "I don't think you should be hunting in these woods. There's a party house within."