Eighteen: Dread, Part One

The moment she awoke, Dani felt dreadful for no reason in particular. There was an uncomfortable feeling in her stomach as she brushed her teeth. The more she stared at her reflection, the more the feeling grew. It was unnerving. After taking a shower, the feeling had grown to a large wrecking ball, turning her insides upside-down. Dani sat down for breakfast rather quietly.

  She didn't notice Ian staring at her. "What's wrong?" He asked, dropping his spoon.

  Dani looked up, a bit startled. "Wh—what do you mean?"

   "You feel completely uneasy and scared. I don't know what of, it's not clear from your emotions."

  Jean dropped her fork to her plate. "Is everything alright, Dani?"

  Dani sighed and looked from Ian to Jean. "I'm just confused as you guys. I keep getting this bad feeling in my guts; the one you get for no reason, like something bad is going to happen today."

  "Well, if you feel like that, then maybe you shouldn't go to school today." Ian suggested.

  "No." Today was the day she had picked to tell Jeremy about her reason for wanting to go to The Summit. "There's something I have to do."

  Ian nodded like he understood, or maybe he did. "Okay. Good luck then."

  Looking at Ian, Dani had a strange thought, "What do you do when I leave for school, Ian?" She asked out of interest.

  "Wait for you to come back." Ian answered casually and sipped his water. "But I also watch TV. It's so fascinating. I wish I'd been born when it was still in the process of being developed; I'd like to know how they fit all those people inside."

  Dani felt the dread lift a little as she and Jean chuckled. While Jean began to explain the science behind the TV, Dani began to think about the best approach to telling Jeremy the truth.

  Hannah was right; this wasn't hurting him in any way. Sure, he'd feel a bit offended that she had kissed him to shut him up rather than out of love, but if he truly loved her then he would understand. Jeremy had a temper sometimes, one that she had seen one too many times while they grew up. Sometimes Jer would pick a fight with someone much older than him and he would end up beaten up pretty badly but he would still insist that if he were eighteen, the guy would have been toast.

   It was a side of Jeremy she loved and hated.

  Finishing her breakfast, Dani walked upstairs and packed her things into her bag. She added a bit of food into Bob's bowl, knowing Jean would still feed him when she was in school. The sound of her door creaking startled her and she spun around.

  It was Ian. He walked into the room silently.

  Dani dropped her bag on her bed. "Oh hi, what's wrong?"

  Ian smiled. "I thought you might need this." He wrapped his arms around her, his heat bathing her. "I know you feel bad for some reason and I understand you don't know why, but what I want you to know is that I'm here for you. Always."

  Dani was startled. She breathed Ian's smell in, hesitated on exhaling, before she hugged him back, squeezing him tightly.

  "Um, Dani. I'm not in my cosmic form; I need air to survive. You need to let go of me." He choked out and Dani loosened her hold, hearing Ian exhale heavily.

  "Sorry, I just really needed that. Thanks, Ian."

  "Do you want a kiss?"

  "What?"

   "A good luck kiss. I saw it on TV." He replied innocently enough.

  "Um, no. But thanks for the offer, I kinda have a boyfriend now." Whether she would still be a girlfriend in the evening was the question.