Just friends

It was a rainy saturday morning in Akita. It was around 5AM, Murasakibara said we couldn't hang out last night as something had come up. He wasn't specific and was oddly short when he messaged me. He didn't even stop by for sweets. 

Very odd. 

I was wearing my usual black running leggings and a thin waterproof hoodie. I had the hood up to try and avoid some of the droplets hitting my eyes. I had my ear buds in to help me focus and concentrate but they weren't helping much in that department. 
My mind kept wandering off to the purple haired titan. 

I wonder if he's okay..he's never been that short with me unless we have an argument but even then....we haven't argued.  

Is he sick?...I've never seen him sick so that could be it. 

Maybe something happened with his parents.....

Maybe he was being robbed or worse held hostage!

My curiosity got the best of me and I detoured from my usual run. I started running towards Murasakibara's house.

I'll just do a quick detour and make sure nothing looks suspicious...

It added an additional thirty minutes from my usual run just to get to his house. My heart was racing. The sun had only been up at hour but it couldnt quite get through the rain clouds. The rain had increased making it harder to see. 

I started jogging down the opposite side of the street from his house. 
That's when I saw Murasakibara poke his head out of the front door. He was only in his boxers with a t-shirt on. Then, he pulled an unfamiliar girl by the hand out the front door. 
I watched as he waved an awkward goodbye before the girl grabbed him and kissed him. After the goodbye, he slipped back into the house and the girl started walking with an umbrella towards the bus stop. 
It felt like someone had thrown a basketball full speed into my chest. 

Somethings changed.

Angry tears started forming in my eyes as I started to run faster. The rain started pelting down. Whatever song I was listening to was drowned out by the thumping of my heart. The sound of my heart thumping was now deafening in my ears. This wasn't the usual exhilarating kind of heart beats that I got from running. This was something different entirely.

It took me only thirty minutes to get back home. I ran and didn't stop after seeing....what I saw. 
I peeled off my soaking wet clothes and threw them in the washing machine before quietly going upstairs to shower. 

Once in the bathroom I saw my reflection. My eyes were puffy and red, cheeks flushed and some tears still falling down my face. 
I got in the shower quickly and leant against the tiled wall, the warmth from the shower water started seeping into my cold bones. 

When did I get cold...

I started monotonously going through my shower routine. Wash my hair, body scrub, shave etc.
I was half way through scrubbing my left arm when I started remembering what I saw...New tears sprung to my eyes but was quickly washed away by the cascade of warmth from the shower. 

Showering was usually one of my favourite parts of the day. It made me feel clean and warm after pushing myself to my limits. It usual eased my aches and pains, but right now it just felt like a warm empty embrace. My heart felt strangely heavy.

I've never felt like this before.

I stood in the shower crying for what felt like an eternity when I heard a soft knock at the door. 

"My little hare..I've made tea. Come and warm up with mom when you finish showering" Okaasan called through the door. 

"I'll be out in a minute" I called back. 

Mom only calls me by the nickname when she knows I'm sad...shit she must have heard me crying. 

I sighed, rinsing off the soap suds, turning the shower off and wrapping a towel around myself to dry off. I looked at myself in the mirror. 

Eyes are still puffy. 

I changed into a blue panda t-shirt and a pair of lounge shorts and went downstairs, finding Okaasan in her robe sitting on the couch, a large pot of tea on the coffee table. She saw me and petted at the spot beside her. I felt like I was 10 all over again and curled up next to her. 

"What's got you so flustered" she asked as she stroked me damp hair. If I said anything, I'm sure if just cry again so I just shook my head. 

"Did something happen on your run? No one touched you did they?" 
I shook my head. 

"Did you get into an argument with No-chan?" Another head shake.

"Murasakibara-san?" I slowly nodded my head. 

"Oh my sweet little hare, you two are very good friends. I'm sure you will sort out your differences" she said kissing my head and putting a cup of tea for me. 

I took the tea and stared as the steam rising from my mug as Okaasan wrapped an arm around my shoulders and leant her head on mine. 

I changed...He didn't...we are just friends. That is what we are. Just friends.