Chapter 2 : The start

( 2 years ago )

'Can you believe this ? Where am I ?
I am at the most boring films festival of the...'
Dad snatched my phone away and interrupted my texting.

"Come on. I was...", I protested.
"Why are we here ? For your girlfriend's text", he said.

"She's not my girlfriend ! And what the hell is this film ?...", I said as I tried to get my phone back, "...Baazigar badnaam sikandar ?"
"Baazigar ka naam sikandar", Dad corrected.

"Whatever", I said as he switched off my phone and kept it in his pocket.

The film sucked. Like there was an emotional scene, where they are just showing each character's face with some greyscale filter.
I looked aside as the hero kissed the heroine. Even our bodyguards were crying.

Uh.. that's when I noticed a laser on Dad's head. Oh f..
I grabbed his head and pulled him down.

SHOTTTT !!!!!!

The bullet just missed his head, but still I heard the sound of it striking something.
Something fell off Dad's head.

The guards rushed in and covered up the area. Some of them ran behind the shooter.
Dad and mom walked slowly towards the exit.
My eyes went to Dad's seat. Something silvery caught my eye. What is this ?...

"Akshit, what are you doing there ? Hurry up !", he said as he signalled me to follow him.
I walked carefully to the exit. On the way, I noticed the screen glitching. The glitch stopped as the screen turned white, with a Black and red skull in between.
We rushed to our car. Followed by the guards.

***

"Can't we have a safe life ?", Mom started crying.
"Honey, I'm the...", Dad started off.

"Whatever you are. The CEO of Aspex industries. Founder. Whatever, just leave us and we'll have a great life", I interrupted.
"Akshit, he's your Dad !", Mom said.

"Na, he isn't", I said as I grabbed my mobile back from his pocket.
"I know you must be angry. I'll get this settled soon. I may not be your real Dad but I still care for you...", Dad told me.

"He's just pissed off, Jayesh. He'll cool off", said Mom.
"Ya, so you aren't going college tomorrow", Dad instructed.

"But Dad..."
"No. This is for your own safety."

I saw my screen cracked as I switched the mobile on. He did it. Again.
"You know what ? I'm going to college. Again. You won't stop your tricks. I won't stop mine. I'll see what stops me", I dashed to my room and locked it up. It has been like 3 months since I took admission in my new college. But I hardly know anyone maybe except Vinay, and Avni.

I opened my laptop as I searched for a girl's profile. Avni. If I had a normal life, I would probably be with Avni right now. I rushed through her photos, as I recalled where I first met her. I remember it clearly, it was my first day of college...

[Flashback]

Getting admission for in top colleges becomes easy if you are the boards topper especially with that 99.7% tag on you. Ok, it's just 97.7% with extra 2% for my sports skills.

"Future Angels Multi Purpose School & Jr. College" -I read out the name of my new college. I still wonder why was it in rank one.

    I entered the main building. A list displaying names of students with their marks was displayed on the notice board. My name on the top. Akshit Malhotra- block S2.

"We don't make students, but future citizens of India", I recited their motto as I entered our class. Just 3-4 girls chit chatting on the corner. I quietly sneaked to the first bench and tried to comfort myself. Within half an hour, all the benches crammed up.

    I was kinda surprised by the male to female ratio of the class. Girls were in clear majority. I had this thing you can call, "girl-phobia", and now me I'm sure it'll be haunting me for this 2 years.

    The teacher entered. Elizabeth miss, as she called herself. She started to say all things about college - how it focuses more on student rather than studies. She stopped abruptly, as some other students made their way to the class. "May I come in ?!", A girl asked, quite dramatically.

    She had Green frame specs, curly hair. Her eyes widened as she noticed Elizabeth miss. Hey wait, was I staring at a girl ?! I instantly turned my gaze away as I noticed the girl had noticed me staring at her. "Please don't react. Please don't react.", I muttered.

"Well. Well. Ms. Avni. It's been quite a long time", Elizabeth miss commented.
"Huh. Uh yeah. I'm sorry", Avni said as she entered the class.

"Why are you even here now ? The seminar is over. I've already solved everyone's doubts. Isn't it ?", The teacher laughed.
I quickly thought of something.'I'll make a point. Divert everyone's attention. And then Avni and her friends would get away easily', I planned. Here I go, I stood up all of a sudden.

"Any problems, mister..", Elizabeth miss questioned.
"Uh, actually..", I started off. "You know, time is money.."
   Well I did make a start but it didn't make sense. I realised that the whole plan didn't make sense itself. I quietly sat down as I failed in this attempt.

"What are you even thinking mister?", she yelled. I didn't react. I just put my head down as I noticed people were staring at me. 'Stop staring at me', I said in my mind.
"Cool down, it's just your first day at college. Don't tense up your class teacher so much", a girl from the adjacent bench remarked. I didn't give a damn to what she said.

"Mr. Akshit, you don't try to act smart in front of me", Elizabeth miss said as she checked the register. "I'm sure Ms. Avni is well acquainted with my techniques."

I didn't react this time too, as the others continued to stare at me. Please someone stop this. Can't anyone try to divert this attention ? I lifted my head as I heard a loud thump.

"Mr. Akshit, get out of the class !", Elizabeth miss ordered. "And you come in."
Well congrats Akshit. You've been thrown out of a class, for the first time in your life. I made my way to the door as Avni moved in.

"Ms. Avni, where do you think you are going ? You aren't getting in too. Mr. Akshit needs to learn more from a great alumni of Future Angels like you. Go accompany him", Elizabeth miss said sarcastically.

We both stood outside as she continued the seminar.
"Hey are you crying ?", Avni giggled.
"Me ? No ?", I said as I wiped my face. "I'm just not used to all this you know", I smiled.
"You'll get used to.."
"Excuse me ?"
"That bitch Elizabeth.. she's been on my nerves since last year. Didn't know she taught in the junior college as well."
"Yeah she's weird. Bitch Eliza.. I mean miss Elizabeth.."

Avni laughed loudly as Elizabeth miss turned to us again. Avni took my hands and started running as Elizabeth miss came towards us with a stick. "Come back you two !"

[/Flashback]