Chapter 14 : First piece of the cake

I told Tanvi about everything. She said she's happy for me and Avni. Not quite sure though.

Things began to change slowly. I started to hang out more often with Avni. Sometimes, Tanvi too, but just as a friend.

I became happy again. That lost smile, came back to my face. I become somewhat good and matured.

My parents were happy too, coz of my good behavior and happiness. The reason still was Avni. Mom believes Avni is that lifechanger everyone needs. Especially me. But still, she advised me to not get much involved into Avni. As I might regret that, if she goes away.

Our lives changed. Maanav would occasionally be spotted with Avni, but I didn't care much. I'd accepted him as her good friend.

Vinay was gone. No signs of him anywhere. Did I really hear his voice ? Or was it the nausea due to the current ? Operation Triangle, I couldn't find out about it. Rather I left it. I didn't want to lose another loved one because of it.

Durva and Devansh finally got together. Me, Avni, Devansh, Durva made a really great group. These 2 years were a bliss. We celebrated each other's birthdays at my other house at Plexon Complex. Jayesh, I mean 'Dad' had gifted it to me.

I began to respect him too. I realized money wasn't the only thing he cared about. He had worked hard to gain that money and he wanted me to acknowledge that. And I did too, again thanks to Avni.

Talking about us, Avni and me did have a kiss. This time, uninterrupted by Tanvi, morals, stupid bell, library teacher. We told the truth about that incident to our group. I'd goosebumps as I told them what actually had happened.

"I know... You broke the front-right leg of the chair na ? It was rotten due to fungus. Quite smart, huh... ", Avni exclaimed. Wait that...

I'd heard it.. maybe this was it. The voice I'd heard. But I didn't want to dig this up again. I wanted to forget it.

Vinay was still missing.
Time flew fast. 2 years swooshed away. Boards, then the entrance exams.. We were finally free now.

I had not celebrated my birthday for 2 years after that incident. But this year, I thought it was finally time to move on. I gave personal invitations to all my friends. We were gonna celebrate it at my place.

I'd promised that I'll spend the day with my parents, but they would leave me in the evening. After initial opposition, they finally relented.

I met Tanvi after a long time. She told me, she was suffering from depression. The doctors had told her to go outdoors. I took her to a snack corner, had some chats, got her in a fresh mood and left. I also invited her to the next day's birthday party.

After that I met Avni. "So you ready for your great birthday ?", She asked.
"I'm eager", I said.

"I'm actually more eager than you", she said.
"Why is that so ?", I kissed her hands.

"I'm gonna give you a gift... It's very special", she blushed.
"Ok mi amor, but what is it ?", I asked.

"It's a surprise ! It's very good. You'll like it", she just said.
"Ok. I'll wait. I hope it finds it's way sooner", I said.

"Sooner, if you promise me one thing."
"Promise you what ?"

"The first piece of cake... Only I'll give it to you."
"You can have the whole of it actually", I joked.

"Akshit...", Her expressions changed. "But please, promise me"
"Yes, it's a promise", I said. We were at Marine drive, leaning against my car.

"What a beautiful sunset", Avni remarked.
"Not more than you", I smiled as I pulled her closer to me. "I hope you aren't bringing that Tanvi with you", she said.

"Why ? I invited her"
"Ok whatever", Avni said as she wrapped my hand around herself. "Feels good", I remarked.

She giggled and punched me lightly on my stomach. We remembered all the things we'd done in order to see this sunset.

The waters in front of us, each light ray finding it's way to us, each bird swaying across the horizon seemed to tell....
"Life's beautiful."

"Take me to the realities beyond,
the ocean and the sea.
Where there be no one around,
Only you and me..."