²³ | the hills

"keep on tryna hide it but your friends know"

(for the sake of the story, Virgil is -contrary to reality- not suspended for the CL game described in this chapter)

____________

As soon as I opened the front door of the Melwood building, I was surprised when I immediately was engulfed in a hug by Dejan.

I smiled into his shoulder and eventually he let go. Besides him, I've also kept contact with the other mischief boys via texting and kept them on track how I was feeling.

"That's familiar. But this time I only made one step inside, congrats. What a deja-vu"

"Dejan-vu" he grinned and I scoffed at his dad joke.

"Welcome back. So glad to see you again. Don't wanna shock you, but we're pretty much fucked in there without you" he admitted with a laugh and I raised my eyebrows.

At the same time I was glad he didn't talk about all what happened to why I was absent and just moved on. Thank god.

"What?"

"Yeah, many injuries, you know" he scratched his head.

"Well, let's see what I can help with then" I replied with a delicate smile, enthusiasm present in my voice. After all I loved my job, helping the players.

Subconciously, I half-sneaked through the hallways of Melwood to make it to my office. The faces and the pitiful looks of the players last time I returned after fainting were still burned in my mind and it's embarassing to receive the attention.

When I placed my bag on the table in the community room, I checked the clock and realised I was rather early. My head turned when I heard the door open and saw Chris coming in as well.

"Oh, welcome back Marly! When did you arrive?"

"Was just coming in seconds before you" I smiled. "Thanks, I'm happy to be back"

"Let's see if you'll regret that sentence in a few" he let out a laugh. "Pretty much to handle right now"

"I'm sure we can do it" I reassured.
Work was there to distract me from my thoughts and worries, and of course I've grown into this club, I like the patients and colleagues, they're like family and I want to support them.

-

And he was right, the agenda for the medical wing came close to the one of a lazaretto.

"So, what's the plan? Who's in need for treatment?"

I was walking down the hallway with my clipboard and files in both hands, dressed in my doctor's attire and with both Ms. Fawcett and Chris on my sides.

They listed the players with several problems and I tried to memorize them, distracted by the fact that we've passed some players in the hallway that were throwing me either looks of pity or surprise. I sticked my gaze down to the floor in embarassment.

We've split ways when we arrived at the different treatment and examination rooms.

Chris handed me a schedule of the players that were under my wing today - in hope to get better until the important Champions League game against Bayern Munich.

First one up was Mo. I smiled when I saw his name, since it's been long we've actually talked. I was curious to find out what's wrong.

"Hello Dr. Elliot" he said shyly in his accent and I couldn't hide my grin. Mo smiled too, showing off his teeth.