²⁴ | tickets to my downfall

Pitch black darkness surrounded me as soon as I opened my eyes. The only thing that filled the silence was my heavy panting. I took in a deep breath, trying to get rid of the feeling the nightmare just caused me moments before.
"Virgil" I mumbled, still half asleep.

My body twitched and my eyes were heavy. "Virg"

The darkness sent a shiver down my spine. It's okay, it's Virgil. It's so dark because I'm cuddled to his chest.

It's okay. It's okay.

Hesitantly, I reached out my hand. I wanted to feel him but not too hard that I wake him up.

But neither the feeling of his soft skin or ripped chest underneath the fabric of his shirt met my fingertips. Nothing.

My heart sped up when I straightened up my body and now hectically touched the duvets and covers on my bed in the dark, desperately hoping to find him there.

"Virg" I now said louder, a tear slipping from my eye when I couldn't feel his presence, my eyes now wide open.

That's when it hit me.

I was alone in bed. In my own apartment. In the middle of the night.

The realization made me sober up and I froze for a moment, stabilising myself on the soft mattress with my hands.

I'm not with him. I'm at home.
But I wanted to be with him. He always made me feel better about my nightmares.

Heat crept in my cheeks when I remembered how I called out his name.

Maybe now was the time I needed him more than ever.

_________

A few weeks went by, and my life was actually quite normal the whole time, except the occasional nightmares. Nothing exciting or surprising happened, and at this point with my luck, it was getting quite suspicious.

I've avoided going outside as soon as the sun passed the horizon.
My fear is still too big to do this alone.
And I know it's not normal or healthy. But I just can't help it.

Over this time I've kept contact with the police department and we've worked together to find those men but nothing big so far either.

But at least I could work full time again with the people I like and trust.

I lived in my apartment, alone. No Virgil. And I wasn't sleeping at Virgil's place either.

But it's not like it was a bad thing, after all we were still good with each other and maybe I just needed that time and space to think it all through.

Scratch that, I've missed him and still do. But how am I going to tell him that? After all I don't even know what's exactly going on between us. I can't put a term on it.