Maybe · Pt. 15

*unedited; please don't mind any mistakes/errors*

Y/n Pov
It's been a day now. Not long, but enough time for me to calm down and get ahold of myself. I've done nothing but sleep, cry, and overthink. Poor Kentaro doesn't know what to do, so my aunt took a day home from work to help out. For the most part I've been left alone, or given space, whichever.

They come in every now and then to check up on me, bring me water. I stil haven't been able to eat, despite my aunts pleads and scolding for me to. I just can't right now. I get up from my bed finally after laying there awake for what feels like hours, zoning out and thinking. Kentaro told my aunt about the detectives visit. She told me not to talk to him or allow him to question me. She knows about my "theory" too.

She thinks I'm just in denial.
Maybe that's it. Maybe it's not. Maybe I'm write. Maybe I'm wrong. There's only one way to find out.

I hop out of bed in a rush but stop as black dots cover my eyesight and I?grow dizzy. I sit down on my bed slowly, telling myself to slow down a bit. I have time. Not much, but I have some time. My aunt is out for groceries, she just left not too long ago. She has errands to run after. Kentaro is at school right now and my uncle is at work.

I stand slower this time before rushing to brush my teeth and toss on some clothes, not bothering to shower or look nice. A hoodie and jeans is what I wear and I pull my hood over my head so I don't get noticed as easily as I leave the house, unlocking my window for a way back in later just in case. I know this is a bad idea, but I need to know. Maybe I'll tell the detective about the heart cut too...

There's been a lot of maybes lately, I realize.
Maybe Hinata killed himself. Maybe he didn't.
Maybe Kageyama ran away. Maybe he killed himself too. Maybe he didn't.
Maybe I did do the heart cut to myself and have just been too distraught to even remember it.
Maybe I left my own window unlocked before and no one else was actually in my house.
Maybe everything is starting to finally just fall apart.

I don't know. I'm so unsure of everything lately. I feel pathetic honestly. I lose one or two friends then suddenly lose it. I'm not even the only one who lost them... I don't know what's wrong with me or what to do. That doesn't matter right now though.  It takes about a 10 minute walk and a 30 minute bus ride to get to the police station. Fortunately it isn't any further.

I'm hesitant as I approach. Maybe this isn't a good idea, but it's too late to turn back now. I can't seem to bring myself to walk in though as I remain fidgeting not too far away from the front of the building. Instead of walking in, I begin to walk away. I'll come back when I'm ready. "Y/n?". Or not. I turn to see detective Hirohito standing not too far away from the front door, keys in hand as if to leave.

"Oh uh..." I start but not exactly sure what to say. He looks at me for a minute before approaching. "What brings you here? Is your cousin or guardian aware your here right now?" He asks as he's now in front of me. I shake my head no and he sighs. "Are you here to finish our conversation from the other day?" He further questions and I mumble "yes".

He nods before putting on his usual friendly smile. "Very well, have you eaten?" "Uh no.." I reply. He nods again. "Come on. I know a place we can go and talk. After I will take you home." He begins to walk to his car, me following not too far behind. He gets into the drivers seat and I sit in the passenger seat next to him. The drive is quiet except for the radio as we arrive to a small diner.

There's not too many people here as we enter and he asks for a table for two. We sit down and he sighs before looking at me. "How have you been since my visit the other day?" He asks, concern somewhat lined in his voice. I shrug. "As okay as I can be" I mumble fidgeting.  "Understandable. Would you like to order first or is it okay for me to begin asking questions?" He asks and I nod.

"You can ask. I'm not very hungry right now anyways." I say and he nods. "What can you tell me about Hinata?" He questions. No notebook and pen this time, I notice. "He loved volleyball. He was really energetic and like a ball of sunshine. That made it hard to be in a bad mood around him." I say with a chuckle. "He was really athletic and fast, but I'm in soccer so it wasn't hard for me to keep up with him."

I pause for a minute before taking a deep breath and looking up to look the detective in the eyes. "He didn't kill himself, did he?" I ask in a moment of assurance. His expression doesn't change as he studies my own, sure expression before sighing. "No. We found bruises. There were no signs of any abuse or bullying. Plus they were fresh, indicating he got them around the time of his death." He explains.

"So a sign of a struggle" I mumble almost breathlessly and he nods. I stare blankly and shocked. Of course I knew it wasn't a suicide, this confirms it. But that also means someone killed him. With this confirmation, I don't know how to react. Suicide or murder. Which is worse? I'm not sure. The fact that he'd kill himself, or the fact that someone would kill him?

I stare at the table in shock as I take a moment to process. The detective sits in an understanding silence. "What about Kageyama?" I ask looking back at him. "What do you mean?" He asks. He knows what I mean, but I explain anyways. "Have you gotten any proof he actually ran away? That he was the one who sent the goodbye text?" I ask as my tone grows more eager by the second.

"There's no proof that suggest otherwise." He admits with a slight shrug. Its not a straight answer, but it's enough. I take another moment of silence to think. "I know what your thinking Y/n, about Kageyama. I can agree that I don't think he ran away either, but I can't do anything about it based of my opinion with no evidence." He explains and his face turns to a more empathetic one.

No. He can't. Not as a detective anyways, there's restrictions to what he can do and investigate in his job.
I can though. I don't have those same restrictions, as long as I don't do anything illegal. Being the quiet girl in school, I felt nosey listening in to others conversations, finding out stuff I wasn't supposed to know about without it being known that I knew.

I could get around with out many people noticing my presence.
Maybe now, it'll be useful.

-

🖤