Chapter 42: Forgiveness

Hello, 👋🏾 I know it's been a long time since I last updated, sorry for the wait. Please reread the last few chapters as a refresher!

Mia 💛 (A week later)

I sat at my desk in my room consumed with trying to add the finishing touches to the project that Zane and I will have to present in a few days

I smiled inwardly to myself as I remembered the day that Professor Gordon assigned us to work together. It felt like just yesterday I was protesting to be assigned another partner because I absolutely could not work with someone like Zane.

And yet, here I was, in love with the same guy I rejected over and over again and praying to God that he will eventually choose me.

It's been hard working with him while he's been keeping me at a platonic distance.

This situation was too ironic.

It was the kind of shit you only saw in novels.

It was borderline pathetic if we were being completely honest here.

I shook the thoughts of Zane out of my mind and focused on something more positive.

The fact that this semester was finally winding down to an end was a big relief and something I could look forward too.

With school being done soon, it would be one less thing I had to stress about in my shitty life.

As I clicked away on my laptop, I was consumed with finishing the essay portion of our project.

So when my peace of mind was abruptly interrupted by some very aggressive thumps on my bedroom door, I reflexively jumped up in my chair; startled by the noise.

The knocks were so intense, I assumed the police was using a battering ram to knock down my damn door.

Surely, it couldn't be one of my roommates? Who the hell was knocking on my door like that? And why the hell were they knocking so aggressively?

I sighed heavily before answering the the knock by calling out to the person on the other side; my voice etched with an obvious tinge of annoyance that I couldn't hide even if I wanted too.

"Who the hell is knocking on my door like that?" I asked briskly.

I waited a full minute for an answer but there was no response.

I took the silence as my answer and decided to refocus on my task at hand.

But the moment I began to focus, I heard something being shoved underneath my door.

This prompted me to look towards the door again. This time, I found a note on the ground.

I ambled towards the door and bent down to grab the mysterious note.