Chapter 2: The Warning Signs

Mia💛

I'd just finished working out with my younger brother Joshua who also attended the university of Miami

I'd just finished working out with my younger brother Joshua who also attended the university of Miami. While I was a senior, Josh was a junior and lived with his buddies in a rented house about a mile away from my apartment. So, it wasn't unusual for him to stop by my place and hangout with me whenever he had the time. Josh and I were pretty close, and that was impart, due to our brothers death.

When it came to Josh, I would literally die for him. I was the overly protective older sister who wasn't about playing games when it involved my little brother. Josh regularly complained about my overbearing nature and he never sugarcoated shit whenever he felt like I overstepped my boundaries. I tried to get him to understand that seeing Mike being killed in front of me, changed me completely. And even the years of therapy afterwards didn't completely help with the PTSD I developed.

I'll be damned if Joshua was also ripped from this world and out of my life prematurely. I didn't think I could survive another tragedy a second time. I dismissed my dark thoughts and refocused on the present.

Today we headed back to my apartment after working out in the gym at my apartments clubhouse. Both of us worked out often since it gave us time to catch up after a busy week as well as helped us cope with everyday stress.

As we entered my apartment, I wasn't expecting anyone to be home. I lived with Alicia but I also lived with another roommate, who signed her lease with us a few weeks ago. Her name was Rebecca.

Joshua ambled into my home like he owned the place and head straight towards the guest bathroom that both of my roommates had to share. Although it costed more money, I was lucky enough to rent the master suit which came with my own private bathroom.

"Hey Mia! I need to take a shit, so don't wait up!" I rolled my eyes at my brother who clearly had no filter as he yelled across my apartment.

In the mean time, I strode towards my bedroom to take a quick shower and change after my vigorous workout with my brother.

As I approached the door, I realized that it was slightly ajar which was unusual since I always closed my room door before I leave the house. So seeing my door open, It automatically made me suspicious and I instinctively slowed my steps.