Epilogue

Mia 💛

Today was Father's Day and it had been months since I'd spoken to my dad. Throughout the months, no matter how hard I wanted to, I just couldn't look at him the same.

I peered towards my nightstand and the clock read 7:34 am.

I glanced to my right and Zane slept soundly next to me in my bed.

I couldn't help but smile as I took in his sleeping form. We technically didn't live together but, at this point, we might as well since we basically woke up to each other almost every morning.

I shook thoughts of Zane out of my mind as I refocused on the fact that it was still Father's Day.

I leaned towards the nightstand and grabbed my phone and automatically scrolled to my Father's text thread.

I read the last message he sent me, apologizing for everything that he'd done wrong.

I never answered and that was months ago.

In fact, I purposely left him on "read" so that he knew that I saw the message.

But today, I laid in bed, contemplating whether or not I should send my typical Father's Day GIF  that I always sent on his special day.

(The GIF^ although it's not moving)

Yesterday, I'd spoken to my mom on whether or not I should even acknowledge Father's Day but she refused to encourage or discourage my decision.

Ever since she moved out and filed for divorce, she's made it very clear that she didn't want to influence her children's relationship with their father. However,  she personally, couldn't handle the betrayal she'd experienced.

And I didn't blame her.

What my father put us through was so painful, it was almost as unbearable as the day we lost Michael.

I closed my eyes and shook my head sadly as I held back tears.

I remembered the day we sat Jay down and explained to him who his real father was; it ripped a piece of my heart out and I can't even fathom how Jay felt after being told he was lied to all of his life.

I remembered that day like it was yesterday.

Jay listening intently as my father explained the situation to him as best he could.

It tore my heart in two as I watched him absorb what was being said; confusion marring his young features.

Eventually, it became too overwhelming and I watched as Jay broke down and cried.

After that night, he's never really expressed verbally how this has affected him. He's quieter now, but he seems to ignore the issue; still calling my parents his grandma and grandpa.