Chapter 15: Ladies Night

Mia

Ring! Ring! Ring!

The phone rang a couple of times before my brother finally answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey bro-ski..."

"Hey big sis. What's up?"

"I'm good... I'm calling because there's been some things on my mind and I feel like we haven't talked in awhile..." I stated this tentatively to see what Josh would say. Since we hadn't talked all week, I assumed there was something wrong between us and I wanted to feel him out first. I listened as I heard Josh sigh quietly on the other end of the phone before he finally answered me. During our entire conversation I noticed that he didn't sound quite like himself.

"Yeah, I've been busy lately..." He sounded aloof as he trailed off. It was as if he didn't want to be on the phone with me.

Ever since the fight at the party about a week ago, I felt like Josh had been more distant towards me than usual. And because of this, I felt the need to reach out to him and see if he was okay; it wasn't like him to go an entire week without speaking with me. Plus, I still had somethings I wanted to get off my chest from that night. Namely, the fact that I felt somewhat betrayed because, as my brother, I felt like he should've been the first person to stand up for me instead of trying to console that Harper bitch. I brought my attention back to him. 

"I've definitely noticed how busy you've been." I confirmed his statement while pausing briefly to gather my thoughts. "Well, anyway...I'm going out to eat with Alicia tonight and I was wondering if you wanted to join us and maybe we can catch up?" As an answer to my question, I was met with the sound of Joshua exhaling heavily, once again, while I waited for his response.

"Josh? You still there?" I asked after not hearing an answer from him.

"Uh, yeah." This time he sounded distracted as he spoke. "Um... damn Mia, you know I wish I could go... But I have to get some school work completed tonight. How about a reign check for this weekend or something?" Yup, something didn't add up.

I quietly shook my head in disappointment but I chose not harp on this issue. After that, Josh and I talked for about two more minutes before he had to go.

***************************

8:05 PM

It was a few hours after I'd talked to Joshua, and right now I had no cares in the world. It was Friday night and me and Alicia we're sitting in a cute little restaurant in downtown Miami where we were enjoying free drinks during the restaurants infamous ladies night. I observed as Alicia sipped her red wine and grinned at me while I teased her endlessly about her crazy ass relationship with Raymond.

"....So, you gave Ray that ultimatum like I suggested and the dude decided he couldn't live without that PUSS, huh?" Alicia covered her entire face with her hand out of share embarrassment for what I'd just said. Tonight, I limited myself to one glass of wine, but since I was a light weight, it didn't take much for me to lose my filter. Recently, Alicia and her longtime boo decided to make it official and tonight, she could not stop talking about it.

"Girl, for a virgin, you're vulgar as hell....How do those two things go hand in hand? Make it make sense?" She taunted me playfully. This prompted me to roll my eyes before giving her the side eye.

"Hold up!" I rolled my neck to emphasize my point. "You know damn well I'm not no virgin." I pouted my face playfully while Alicia shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly.

"Eh, let's agree to disagree." What the hell did that mean?

"Alicia?! This is not up for debate! It's simple, I've had sex before..." I looked at her like she was crazy because how could she debate me on this. She looked at me and chuckled.