Prologue

Mia 💛

"You're fucking cheating on me Mike, I know you are! I'm not fucking stupid!" I could hear my older brothers girlfriend, Amy, screaming at the top of her lungs as she recklessly threw her high heel shoe across the room. A small gasp escaped my lips as I watched the high heel slam violently against the wall, leaving a golf size dent in the drywall after barely missing my brothers head. They'd been going at each others throats for nearly an hour now and I was finally reaching my breaking point. The constant yelling and bickering was elevating my anxiety to the point that I caught myself trying to slow down my own breathing. I wanted desperately for them to stop fighting but no matter what I said, both my brother and his girlfriend dismissed me without another thought. Did they always fight like this? I'd never seen this side of them.

After that last thud hit the wall, I wasn't surprised when I heard my one year old nephew start crying from the other room since he was clearly startled awake. I didn't know if they just didn't hear Jay or if they simply didn't care but my heart sunk when I noticed that no one attempted to stop arguing, even for a moment, in order to check in on the little guy. So, me being his auntie, I took the initiative upon myself. I strategically snuck around the fighting couple and quietly entered the bedroom in order to take a moment to comfort the little man. Jay was usually a heavy sleeper, so by closing the room door, the noise from the living room was muted just enough so that I could rock Jay back to sleep. Once that was done, I reluctantly headed back out into the war zone. I could've stayed in the bedroom since I technically couldn't do anything to prevent the arguing. However, I felt obligated to watch what was happening so that I could make sure nothing crazy transpired. I had a bad feeling about the entire situation and I wanted to make sure that if anything serious where to develop between the two, maybe I could be the one to prevent it from escalating. The moment I strolled out of the bedroom, I could hear Amy hurling her accusations across the room.

"Who is Sophia, Mike? Look at me when I'm fucking talking to you!" Amy continued to yell as my brother shook his head wearily. I could see the light in my brothers eyes slowly diminish every time Amy spoke. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that my brother might be cheating on his girlfriend. That just wasn't who Mike was as a person. With a mixture of frustration and anxiety marring his face, my brother rubbed his temples to help alleviate some of the tension he was obviously feeling.

"Listen Amy, I love you but these accusations need to stop!" Mike swiped his large palm over his face as he stood in front of Amy while pleading his case. "What do I have to do to prove to you that I'm not cheating on you? If you keep this shit up, the next thing I know, we'll probably be on the goddamn Maury show looking like hillbilly freaks!" Mike yelled angrily at his girlfriend.

My brother and his girlfriend lived in a small one bedroom apartment where the kitchen flowed into the living room with an open concept design. When I left the bedroom, I stood off in the kitchen as I continued to observe, from behind the counter, the unending bickering. I watched as Mike stretched out his arms and reached out to touch Amy's shoulders. I watched as Amy reflexively cowered away from his touch as if he'd just tried to burn her. And then I watched as Amy then swatted his hand away while deepening the scowl that was already pasted onto her face. The woman that I considered to be the sister I never had, was now a complete stranger standing in front of me. When her family disowned her for dating my brother, our family took her in. Yet, right now, Amy was unrecognizable. Her usually neat blonde hair was disheveled and unkempt. Her bright hazel eyes were now dark and unfeeling. Amy's usually pale white skin was tinged with a bright red hue, revealing how upset and disgruntled she really was in this moment. Her dark glowering eyes smoldered with resentment towards my brother. If looks could kill, Mike would already be dead.

I shook my head as I realized how unexpected all of this really was. When my dad dropped me off at Mike's house earlier, this was the last thing I thought would happen. Amy and Mike were the ultimate power couple. They were high school sweet hearts and if you asked anyone from the outside looking in, they would say that Amy and Mike seemed like they had their heads on a a swivel. If I told anyone what I was witnessing right now, in this moment, they would call me a liar. I'd never known Mike to be a cheater and I'd never seen Amy so insecure and upset with Mike. It felt like I was living in the Twilight Zone.