Chapter 31: When It Rains It Pours

Mia 💛

My heart began to quicken its pace and I could hear the blood pulsating through my veins. Next thing I knew, I was having trouble breathing. I desperately grasped at my throat for air but the more I struggled the more lightheaded I became.

I gagged.

I was repulsed.

This couldn't be my real life.

One minute I was sitting upright next to Rebecca, and the next minute I was on the floor and laying on my side while continuing to gasp for air. By now, I was having a full blown panic attack.

Breathe Mia, Breathe....

Breathe In and out, in and out...

I tried to calm myself but the longer my throat constricted, the more it exacerbated my anxiety.

As I struggled to breath, at some point everyone's attention turned and focused on me. My parents stopped arguing and dashed to my side. I desperately reached out towards my mother who clasped onto my hand and began to rub my back while she coached me to breathe through my nose and exhale out through my mouth.

After a good minute or so, my heart rate began to slow and my mind began to clear. My lungs slowly opened back up and relief washed over me as well-needed oxygen filled my opened lungs.

Rebecca's words began to slowly sink deeply into my thoughts and it was almost surreal to think that, everything I ever knew surrounding my brother's death and his child was all a lie.

I sucked in a deep breath before finally turning towards my father and narrowing my eyes on him. All of my life I've had one kind of impression about my father.

He was a good man.

He did everything to provide for his family.

How the hell could he have an affair on my mother with my brother's girlfriend? 

I gathered my bearings and with the assistance of my mother, I stood to my feet and stared at my father until his eyes reluctantly met mine.

Looking my father dead in his inky black eyes, I needed to ask him for the truth; I needed him to confirm what Rebecca told me and tell me, straight to my face, what he did or did not do.

My  voice was shaky as I gulped back the dread and anxiety that was trying to creep its way back to the forefront of my mind. I didn't want another panic attack to take a hold of me and so I reminded myself to breath in and out slowly as I spoke.

"Dad...who- who is Jays father?" My eyes were laser-focused on my father's face as I examined the slight nuances of his body language like I was a hawk looking for it's prey. I waited for my dad's response.

I watched him keenly as he opened his mouth to speak but then shut it tightly and gulped hard. He was probably contemplating the best way to answer my question. 

My eyes briefly shifted towards my mother who stood beside me. I could see the puzzlement creasing her face. Confusion was in her eyes and I could tell that she was wondering why I would ask my father such a crazy question.

The fact that my father hesitated and didn't respond right away, was a big red flag.

I observed as realization finally washed over her. Her face slowly turned from confusion to concern.

Everyone's eyes were now focused back on my father while we waited for his response. Eventually, after holding our breaths for way too long, my father exhaled a heavy sigh before swiping his hands down his face.