Chapter Nine

THERE WERE ABOUT twenty people at the cemetery the following day, all in black. Richard's bodyguards were all around the perimeter of the place. James, as usual, was beside Richard. All was seated beside a dug gravesite with a priest, clad in black, in front of them.

James seemed rather impatient but he hid it from Richard, as much as possible, as he could. He tried to make a time he could be able to go pick Phyllis up. He didn't tell Richard about it as he believed he wouldn't be allowed to go. He just kept stealing glances at his watch.

The funeral service lasted about an hour and Richard and Amelia were called to watch Roland lowered into the earth.

James took this opportunity to leave the cemetery to meet Phyllis. He told a colleague to cover for him as he hopped into Richard's car and drove off to Phyllis' restaurant.

Phyllis had been pacing around for almost an hour, waiting for James, half of her hoping he'd come for her, of course. She was beginning to make her employees think she was going crazy. She'd pace and stop, look at them and continue to pace. She was giving up on waiting when she saw a black Nissan park in front of the restaurant.

She heaved a sigh of relief as James got out of the car and walked in immediately.

"Thought you wouldn't come", she said as she reached for her bag.

"I was debating if he'd like it or not", he told her, "He might not".

She was quiet for a while before speaking. "I'll handle him".

He bowed slightly as he spent a few seconds to study her. She was all in black, except for her ash colored shoes. Her hair was held up in a high ponytail and she had no jewelry on except for her stud earrings.

He sighed to realize she'd been talking to him. He slowly snaked out of his thoughts and looked at her.

"You okay?" She asked. "You looked... lost".

He shook his head. "Let's go now".

He led her to the car and they went off to the cemetery.

By the time they got there, Roland had been buried and Richard was standing alone near his headstone. He had a large bouquet of flowers in a hand and the other in his pocket. The other people were gathered in small groups, having discussions among themselves. Amelia was alone, sitting in a chair.

James quickly ran to open the door for Phyllis as a sign of respect. He led her forward and stopped at a reasonable distance from where Richard stood.

"I'm not sure about getting any closer than this", he told her and took a step backwards.

Phyllis stared in Richard's direction for a long time, not knowing what to do or say. She didn't know whether to continue watching him or to walk up to him, hold his hand, console him...

She wagged her head at her thoughts and sighed. She gazed at Richard's figure from where she was. To her, he didn't look like he'd be in the mood to talk to her at all. She felt she should go to him, but her instincts told her not to.

He watched him bend down and drop the bouquet on the grave. Then he stood up and turned to her direction. Phyllis' heart leapt.