Chapter Twelve

IN THE NEXT one week Richard had left for his trip, Michael kept his visits to Phyllis regular and skipped no single day. He'd even call to apologize for not visiting, which she found unnecessary. All just to create a bond between them.

They'd spend hours talking in her restaurant. She did enjoy the company, as long as he never tried to get intimate with her. Nevertheless, she tried not to forget about Richard and kept her mind on his return. Something in Michael kept her from trusting him fully too.

"So, you mean if you have the chance to become a CEO..., you wouldn't go for it?" She asked during one of their discussions.

"Nope, I wouldn't", he replied and frowned a little, "Being a CEO is like Hell. I know what my father went through..."

"What if you get promoted to that post?"

"I still won't take it... I'm too young to be one anyway".

"I know..."

"So, does Richard call you regularly?" He suddenly asked.

"Huh? Uh, nope. He doesn't call", she cleared her throat, "I don't expect him to anyway".

"And you're not worried?"

"'Bout what?" She batted her lashes and turned away. Her mind went straight to Richard. It was true; he hadn't given her a single call ever since he left. She'd really waited for one. But not on it. She sighed heavily and bit her lip.

"Are you okay?" Michael asked, noticing her absentmindedness.

She shook her head. "Nothing, nothing..., I...", she stood up and drummed her fingers on the table. "I gotta go now".

"This is your place!"

"The mall..., no, park. Alone". She turned to the door and left immediately.

Michael smirked and stood up, his hands in his coat pockets. He knew for sure that Phyllis would begin to try to call Richard. He glanced at his watch. It was past 3 and he knew Richard was not a kind of person to pick a call at that time, especially while on such an important trip.

He walked out of the restaurant and looked around. Phyllis had disappeared entirely; there was no single trace of her around.

He sighed and entered his car to go to the company, since it'd been a while since he reported to work. Something Richard mustn't hear about.

*************-*************

Richard stopped in front of the full length mirror and slowly undid his tie, while staring into his own eyes. He did look tired, he thought. He didn't need someone to tell him that. He was too stressed out to even go for the walk he'd planned to. All he needed now was a long rest. And he'd get it. Right after a -

He paused. His phone was ringing. How could it? What he remembered well was telling people he'd receive no call after 3 and before 6. He wanted to ignore it but his instincts pushed him to the bed. He glanced at the caller first.

His heart leapt. It was Phyllis. She was giving him a call when he'd failed to give her one. Guilt and panic almost overwhelmed him.