Chapter Sixteen

IT WAS PAST 8pm when Phyllis walked to Richard's bedroom's balcony where the cold autumn breeze hit her harshly. She folded her arms tightly and moved to glance down at the compound. There were a lot of men in black suits and few on security uniforms positioned in every corner and edge of the compound. She wondered how Richard felt with tens of men in every part of his house.

With a shrug, she turned to go but paused to look at herself in the French door. She put her hands to her tummy slowly. Richard's shirt did look baggy on her but she thought it was fashionable with its light texture. But the shorts looked like it was made for her.

From her waist, she raised her hands to feel her bust. She had no bra on after getting wet in the pool. She sighted a figure near the door and raised her eyes to see Richard staring right at her. She cleared her throat and moved to the side to lean against a rail as he began to walk towards her.

Richard gently opened the door opened the door and stepped out to the balcony. He was dressed in a white flannel shirt and wine colored cardigan on a pair of black slacks. With a smile, he tucked his hands in his pockets and went to stand beside her.

"Aren't you cold out here?" He asked.

"I am", she replied with a shrug, "But I like it".

He chuckled and leaned against the rail beside her. "So, you, um..., like the shirt?" He asked.

"Yeah... That I doubt it's yours. The shorts too".

He cleared his throat and smiled at her. "I can agree with that". He slowly reached to circle her shoulders. "We could stay here... Or do something fun?" He asked her softly.

She turned to look at him for a while before finally smiling. "I don't know, Richard", she said, "Maybe...", she slowly wrapped her arms around him. "... I could stay here instead... With you. And the cold breeze", she added with a chuckle.

Richard smiled to himself and raised a hand to stroke her hair. He wanted to say a lot of things to her but was unsure on how to start. Or she'd even react. He felt his heart pounding heavily within him and hoped she didn't notice it or say anything about it. He sighed softly and held her close to himself.

*************-************

Phyllis slowly woke up as the early morning sun shone through her closed eyes. She opened her eyes and sat up, yawning quietly. She took a look around her and recalled she was in Richard's bed.

She made to stand up when she saw a long-sleeved polyester shirt beside her on the bed.

"What's this?" She asked herself and took the shirt. Under it was pair of jeans short. Then, on the shorts was a small piece of paper she picked up to read: 'I hope they fit you perfectly. And I hope the shirt is long enough to hide the shorts. #winks#' 

She raised an eyebrow and scoffed. What exactly was the wink for? Smiling to herself, she stood up and walked to the bathroom.

***************-**************

Richard sat behind his mini bar with a filled wine glass. He had his legs crossed over the other as he thought about the previous night with Phyllis. He smiled as he remembered how she'd almost made him swear with his life to leave the room after she fell asleep. His own bedroom. He had after all, but after he'd spent just enough time gazing into and admiring her face. He'd kissed her forehead before finally going into his study room where he sat till the following morning, working. He'd spent less than 3 hours to sleep, if calculated together. But it was no big deal for him.