Chapter Twenty-One

PHYLLIS WAS ALREADY up before Richard. She'd taken a shower and out on nothing but a robe. Then she went to where Richard still slept on the bed and sat beside him quietly.

"Richard", she whispered into his ear and smiled when he turned his face away from her. "Come on. You're not a child".

"I know...", he murmured sleepily.

"It's past 8 in the morning and a responsible man should be at work by now".

"I'm responsible... And I'm the boss..."

She smiled and moved closer to him. "I got something to ask of you".

"Hmm-mm..."

"Get up", she pulled him until he sat upright.

"Okay, okay. I'm up. What's up?"

She smiled again, this time, sweetly and almost seductively.

"What's going on?"

"Nothing. Just that I kinda want your cook out of the kitchen for a while. I wanna take over".

He raised a confused brow. "What do you mean you wanna take over?"

"I wanna cook in there".

"Please don't. It's nothing but stress".

"It's not to me".

He studied her face carefully for a while. "Why do you wanna cook?"

"Well..., since I know you won't let me go to work because of my safety blah blah blah, so I wanna do something that'll make me feel like I'm at work. And distance me from boredom. By cooking".

"By stressing yourself", he corrected.

"I won't be stressing myself!" She put on a sorry face. "Please. Just for this morning".

"Fine. Fine..." He stood up and paused, taking her hands in his. "I forgot to say, you look extraordinarily beautiful this morning". He smiled and kissed her lips gently.

"Richard".

"Yeah?"

"Let's go to the kitchen".

"Okay". He moved his head towards hers to kiss her again but she placed a finger on his lips to stop him. "Save your kisses till I'm done cooking and you get to eat it".

"I hope it'll be worth it".

She bit her lower lip flirtatiously. "You wouldn't wanna stop". She began to walk to the door while he waited at the side of the bed. "I'll be in the living room. Be quick".

Richard watched her open the door and leave before striding into the bathroom. Turning on the tap, he leaned against the sink and stared at himself in the mirror.

He remembered how Phyllis had woken up from a nightmare a few minutes to midnight. How she'd acted that morning didn't seem like she'd had a rough night.

She lets things go so fast, he chuckled and splashed water in his face to stop his sleepiness before going out into the living room.