Chapter Twenty-Four

HE'D GUESSED RIGHT. Or, he'd known right. Michael was to spend 55 years in prison, noting that he'd robbed a warehouse, tried to kill somebody, two people. And he'd done that with an unlicensed gun. Harvey had just 18 years to spend in prison.

It was just to Richard.

Phyllis didn't go to the trial. She just didn't want and Richard couldn't force her or make her go. But he did go on his own. With James, as always.

It had almost been satisfactory to watch Father and Son being cuffed after the trial, helpless and defeated. He couldn't stop it. He had a slow-healing bullet wound to remind him to hate them.

He went straight to Phyllis' restaurant from the court since she'd told him she'd go. And he had nothing to say to stop her.

She wasn't sitting in a couch near a glass wall like she'd always done. And she wasn't seen anywhere in the eating area. So, he guessed she must be in her office. There were about 20 customers as he'd estimated but that barely mattered to him.

He sat in his favorite spot and texted her while James stayed near the car outside. Richard waited patiently for a few seconds before she came out of her office and came to him.

"I hope you're not here to pick me up", she said as she sat opposite him, "'Cause we still have about 7 hours of work hours and 10 hours before we close here".

"No... I'll be here at 5 after work", he replied.

"Then, we go home together...", she chuckled. "So, how long are their sentences?"

"Turns out Michael's gonna turn 83 in jail. And his father has just... 18 years to spend in prison".

"Wow... Well...", she shrugged.

"Just came by to see you before I go off to work... I'll tell James to get your phone from the cops later".

She nodded slowly. "Okay. Bueno".

"Did you just say a Spanish word?" He asked, sounding like he was going to laugh.

", DeVille's been teaching me the basics. You'll teach me Swedish later".

He scoffed. "As if", he glanced at her narrowed eyes, "Fine, I will. If I can..." He paused to laugh. "You're so cute when you frown", he told her and earned a smile from her.

"I know you wouldn't tell me to frown always to get that look".

"Of course not... So, Halloween's on the way. It's in a week. Don't you decorate this place for it?"

"I think we do... But that'll be later. Or you're gonna wear a costume and go trick-or-treating? Or decorate your house too..."

"I'm not 10", he said with a scoff. He paused before going on. "I gotta go to work anyway".

"Okay", she stood up as he did too.

"I'll be back by 5... Wait... What kind of flowers do you like?"

"Hm?"

"You know..., the kind you'd like to see everyday... That you'll wanna receive anytime..."

"Oh... I'd say camellias but they're kinda too rare to find just anywhere. And it's my middle name. I guess I like the damask roses too. Why'd you ask?"