Chapter Twenty-Five

PHYLLIS CHECKED HERSELF out in her mirror for the hundredth time. She looked good, alright. But, what if...? She slapped her forehead with a palm.

She was being a high school girl again. The kind that'd spend hours dressing up for a date. The kind that wouldn't know what exactly to wear.

"Keep it cool, Cypher", she told herself. "It's just one date. One stupid date". With my fiance.

She planned to take it slow and calm. Just a dress, shoes and her bag, nothing more. She looked at the scarlet red dress again. Perfect. She went for a pair of wedged sandals. Cool. And simple.

She cleared her throat and sat in front of her dresser. She gazed into her own reflections for a while before thinking of doing something with her face.

"Okay, just a slight mascara and lip gloss", she muttered and went to work. She brushed her eyelashes gently and applied a little gloss to her lips. She took a moment to make sure her eyebrows were well-shaped before standing up.

She took her deep breath and took a last look at herself. She seemed ready to herself, nothing more. Jewelry! She realized and opened a drawer in her dresser. But, she thought, I told Richard I'm not a big fan of jewelry.

"Well, a little is never too much", she shrugged and took a pair of silver dropping earrings. She found the necklace Richard had made her wear at the mall since it matched her earrings.

"That's enough, Cypher", she said and sighed. She looked down to look her hand and realized she was trembling. Was she nervous? No, stupid, she bit her lower lip and cleared her throat.

She went to her full-length mirror for a last look before nodding in satisfaction at her reflection. She'd blow-dried her hair and brushed it to hang over one shoulder.

It was okay, at least. She had no big reason to be nervous about going out with a man she was engaged to already. She just had to wait for him to come pick her up so she could enjoy her Saturday date.

Like magic, she heard a car pull up in front of the building. Could it be?! She glanced at her watch and realized it was 1pm already. On dot. And Richard was there in time.

"Wow...", she said as her phone beeped of a text. It was from Richard, telling her he was already waiting in front of her apartment building.

With one last glance at the mirror, she nodded and went out of the room, locking the door being her.

Phyllis froze when she got out of the building with her jaw dropped open. Was that Richard Rayworth or just some random hot guy from outer space? She tried to talk but she appeared to have lost her voice. Or maybe her larynx was faulty?

She couldn't be blamed. The Richard before her wasn't like the one she knew. The one she knew was all formal and official. Always in a 3-piece suit. But the Richard in front of her presently was in a simple designer shirt and black trousers.

No suit this time around. He was... casual. Simple. Hot.

Richard gave her a smile as he thrust his hands in his pockets, letting her digest whatever she was enjoying.

"Richard..." She said when she found her voice.

"Phyllis", he replied with a smirk.