Chapter Fourteen

MICHAEL WANTED TO back out from trying to bring Richard down, despite how mad he knew his father could get. And despite what a loser he'd feel like. His only way to get to Richard was through Phyllis. But how could he when he was already having feelings for her? It was like hurting himself intentionally.

Since Richard visited Brooklyn, all Michael did was sit in his office and brood all day, even to Richard's notice. He just wanted to figure out a way to plan better.

He went to her after work when he was sure enough Richard was too busy to visit her.

Phyllis was on her tablet when he came in. She looked up immediately when he sat in front of her and gave a nice smile.

"Are you kinda busy now?" He asked.

"Hmm...", she replied, "I just have to settle some stuff online".

"Good. I need someone to keep me company. I'm just so bored staying all alone at home".

"Don't you have anything to do or... anyone to talk to or visit...?"

He shook his head slowly. "I finished all work in the office. Well..., let's say for now. And my dad lives in Brooklyn now so", he shrugged, "I live alone".

"What about your girlfriend?"

"Girlfriend?" He asked, startled. He let out a nervous chuckle. "I don't have any girlfriend".

"You don't have any girlfriend?" He raised an eyebrow. "To me, you're like one of those men with sugar coated tongues with numerous bimbos flooding behind them!"

He laughed and cleared his throat. "I don't have one", he repeated and laced his finger.

She gave a slight shrug. "Well, some people like to stay single anyway. And you have the kind of job to distract you from having a girlfriend", she said and turned back to her tablet.

He didn't reply. He just kept gazing at her bent head as she stared into her tablet.

Phyllis raised her head to continue when she saw the door open behind Michael and Richard come in, James right behind him. She smiled when she saw him, making Michael turn to see who was there.

Richard paused to share a long eye contact with Michael, anger slowly rising in his eyes. He didn't say a word until Phyllis did.

"This has never happened before", she said, "Did you guys plan this?"

Richard swallowed. "See me outside, Michael", he said and walked out immediately.

Without hesitating Michael stood up and went while James waited there.

"What do you want from me?" Michael asked Richard switching back to his tough self he showed Richard all the time.

"I've been nice enough, Michael", Richard started, leaning on his car, "It's one reason I don't expect you to go after Phyllis".

"Go after Phyllis?" He scoffed, "She's not yours".

"You've tried to take everything from me already. If you dare try to provoke me..., you'll regret it. I'll make you regret it".