Chapter 1

The sun shone down with determination and hit Emmeline's porcelain skin. It pierced and heated her skin.

Finding a job was not easy for her, she had been walking for an hour asking, pleading, begging for a job. The sweat from her forehead trailed down her temple. Desperation was etched on her face.

In the moment of sorrow, Emmeline remembered that a friend of hers spoke of the palace looking for maids. In desperate need, she began her journey to the palace.

She trekked her way into the city centre, where it was bustling with people talking, buying, selling; clothes, foods and merchandise at stalls on the sides of the path. Emmeline made her way through the crowds of people.

The palace was at the heart of the hill that stood in the distance of the centre of the city where Emmeline had passed through. It was the most extravagant part of the city. The stone-made building was sturdy and grey. At a particular time of the day, the sun would fall perfectly on the castle making it shimmer ever so slightly. The castle had many levels and towers that were different sizes. The ridges of the castle were decorated with intricate designs, painted a light blue.

Emmeline had climbed the many stone stairs up the hill, passing people on the way up, people who she assumed worked at the palace and had finished what they needed to do. A few people followed behind her in the same direction.

When she arrived at the midnight black gates that surrounded the whole perimeter of the palace, her legs ached with the need to rest but she willed herself to go on.

She had to explain herself to the guard and was checked over for weapons before being granted entrance. She was given directions to use the back of the palace and to enter through the kitchen.

Emmeline had sauntered and admired the wide greenery that had been trimmed to perfection. After perusing the ground, Emmeline was able to find a single door and through it, she found what looked like a kitchen.

"Good morning," A middle-aged woman greeted. Her hair was a mixture of raven and grey pieces, highlighting her hair.

Emmeline turned towards the voice after looking around at the pattern at the edge of the ceiling and replied, "Good morning, um, sorry but I am here for a maid job?" Emmeline hated that she had to question herself and thought, 'why else would you be here, come on Em', her subconscious rolled its eyes.

"Oh, of course. My name is Marissa. What's your name?" Marissa's eyes crinkled as she gave a friendly smile to the nervous young lady.

"I am Emmeline. It's nice to meet you." Emmeline gave an awkward, crooked smile. She once again thought to herself, 'why do I embarrass myself so?'

"Likewise, it is nice meeting you. There are maids needed here, so please come in tomorrow before the sun rises over the horizon and I will have someone show you what to do. I am the housekeeper here and tomorrow I will be very busy with preparations for the Royals when they get back or otherwise I would have shown you myself." Marissa informed.

Emmeline was confused, "Get back?"

"When they get back from wherever they went, I mean. Be prepared to work hard, tomorrow will be a difficult day, dear."

Marissa finished saying her goodbyes to Emmeline and scrambled back to help the other cooks.

Emmeline bowed her head a little and said her goodbyes before turning to leave the palace. She left quickly to tell her family the good news however she did have to slow down when she got to the city centre, people coaxing her to buy something with her non-existent money.

After her forty-minute walk, she finally reached her home. Her mother was sleeping on the sofa since they could only afford a single room for lodges.

Emmeline smiled softly and stroked her mother's forehead, subtly checking her temperature. A soft blanket was laid upon her mother, she struggled to breathe and Emmeline could hear a small wheezing sound whenever her mother took a breath.