Chapter 24

The kitchen was busy with maids preparing meals and delights for lunch. Emmeline had never seen so many maids in one place at one time. It was almost uncommon in the palace that maids worked in one spot but then again maids were at shortage in Silas' palace. She chuckled to herself when she thought, 'Maybe because Queen Zella scares them off'.

"Hello? I am guessing you're Emmeline. King Silas has requested that you bring him some fruit and water. He is in King Elias' office and out on the balcony"

"Okay, than-" The maid had turned around and walked away before Emmeline could finish.

She arranged the fruits and water on a platter before taking it up to Silas. Emmeline had to ask the guards where to go since she didn't know her way around the castle and the maids were not welcoming enough to approach.

Using initiative and remembering the guards' directions, she was met with a large wooden door. Knocking, she felt as though it couldn't be heard since the wood was so thick but Silas had heard the knock and looked towards the door where Emmeline began to enter.

His eyes dilated and he enjoyed Emmelines presence. Elias, however, was looking at him with so much wonder before looking at Emmeline and nodding in greeting.

"I will be back, Silas, I forgot my glasses in my bedroom." Elias put down his glass of water onto a table beside the couch he was sitting on, opposite to the one Silas was on, before leaving the room.

As soon as the door closed and the platter was put on a table in front of Silas. He walked hastily towards her and embraced her in his arms.

Silas started, "I have missed you so much." He groaned burying his face into her neck.

"You saw me yesterday, Silas," Emmeline grinned.

"We were not alone."

"But in the cabin we were." Emmeline's smile grew.

Silas sighed and admired the colour of her eyes before asking, "Join me, please."

He pulled Emmeline to sit down on the couch he was previously sitting on. They both sat and began to chat and eat.

"How was your night? I hope the other maids made you feel welcomed?" Silas questioned.

"My night? Well, a maid's bed is as comfortable as it sounds." Upon hearing this, Silas grimaced. "But nothing I can't handle. We may have given a small hint to Harriet that something is happening between us."

Silas' brows pinched together, "How? Did you tell her something?" His voice was calm but inside his chest fear arose. Not fear for himself but fear of what would happen to Emmeline if the wrong perspective on obtained word of this information.

"She caught us yesterday in the carriage and the information I told her was very minimal. I only told her that because of what happened between Ida, Rosemary, Elizabeth and me after spending the night with you."

Shock appeared on his face from the new information, "And what transpired between you and them?"

"Nothing I couldn't deal with. It was just empty threats." Emmeline's fingers twiddled with each other, "But if Zella was to find out, they wouldn't actually behead me, right?"

"No," Silas shook his head, "Of course not. But I do wish you would have told me sooner. It does not matter now, you have told me and I will do everything to make sure you're mine without any disapproving eyes or laws to fight us."

Emmeline's eyes admired his silver-blue ones as she whispered, "Okay."

They both kissed but were swiftly pulled out of their trance when the wooden door opened and entered King Elias, who was holding a pile of books but no glasses case.