Chapter 2

Morn was upon Emmeline, she had already woken up, prepared herself and was currently walking through the city centre. Excitement and nervousness fought in the pit of her stomach. She had a feeling that this job was the start of the beginning. 'But the beginning of what?' she thought. 'Maybe, it's the feeling of helping Ma get better." Shrugging her intrusive thoughts away she began to make her way up to the castle stairs.

As she took each step, the cold winds of the morning whipped the skin on her bare arms and made her hair fly into her eyes. She tried tucking her long, brown hair behind her eye but to no avail. The emerald grass going up the hill seemed to meet the same fate.

Arriving at the gate, she was checked over by the guards for weapons before entering. Emmeline meandered her way through the gardens she oh so admired but looking over to the horizon, rays of natural light began to intrude it's way through the dark, but clear sky. The appearance of the sunlight made the blank canvas a painting as it allowed the streams to fan out and invade the once dark sky.

Emmeline realised that she was going to be late if she didn't stop expressing admiration for the gardens. Running into the back door, she was met with a hoard of chatting women, who crowded the kitchen area.

"Hello, are you lost?" A girl with short, blonde hair asked. "I'm Harriet but you can call me Harri."

"Oh, I'm Emmeline and yes I am lost." Emmeline smiled, shyly.

Harriet immediately comforted her by putting a hand on her shoulder, although this made Emmeline uncomfortable, she didn't reject it. "It's okay, just follow me and we can put your things down."

Harriet turned around and began walking at a fast pace, letting Emmeline follow behind her. Both ladies stepped through an arch that seemed to have the same detailed design as the ceiling in the kitchen.

A few minutes later, Harriet halted and turned sharply towards Emmeline. "You can hang your cloak there and put your belongings under't." She pointed and Emmeline did as instructed.

"Are there any rules or protocols I should know about?" Emmeline inquired. She didn't want to make a fool of herself on her first day.

Harriet smiled, understandingly, "Of course but there aren't many. Rule number 1, make yourself as invisible as possible. Queen Zella can become jealous or 'angry' as some call it just by looking at you. She can fire you in an instant, it is probably why we have new maids in and out most weeks."

They began making their way back into the kitchen as Harriet kept explaining the unspoken rules of the palace.

"Rule 2, eye contact with King Silas is forbidden. If you do, for whatever reason it may be, come into his presence and bow your head. That's what I would do at least." Harriet shrugged, casually.

"So, you have never seen the King in the palace since you have worked here?" Emmeline's full eyebrows creased close together.

"No, but I believe it's because he is always travelling so he is rarely at the palace. As soon as he gets back, it won't be a fortnight before he travels again. Rule 3, do anything they ask. As obvious as that rule may seem, some maids in the past just don't understand that principle. Any ridiculous thing they ask, just do it no questions asked because they will punish you and punishment here is worse than being fired." Harriet finished.

"I think I understand. How long have you worked here?" Curiosity took over Emmeline's mind, she had never had a conversation with someone her age that lasted as long as this one.

"I started a month ago. So not long ago. Someone showed me around just as I am doing for you." Harriet smiled at Emmeline as they carried on through the palace.