Chapter 9

Setting foot in her home, Emmeline was met with a calm chatter. When she turned, she saw her mother and sister sitting on the sofa in happiness.

"Ma! I-When did you get back?" Emmeline exclaimed with a smile on her face.

The two women now focused their gaze on Emmeline. "Good evening, Em," Esmeralda greeted, "I got word that she was feeling better. The teacher let me leave early to pick up ma from the hospital."

Glee was upon Emmeline's face, "I am glad you are okay, Ma. You really gave us a scare."

Once Emmeline got closer to her mother, her mother brought her into her embrace, "I am sorry Emmeline," Esmeralda joined in the hug and their mother continued, "You too Esme, I am sorry."

"It's okay. You can't control it." Esmeralda reassured.

Silence filled the room as the family sat in each other's presence. Emmeline got up and said goodnight to them, went to eat and get ready for bed.

She had not mentioned what had transpired that day because she didn't want them to worry. As soon as her head hit the feather filled pillow, Emmeline fell asleep.

Her brown eyes were revealed when she woke. They scanned the room in a haze, she saw her sister sleeping in her bed on the other side of the small room.

Emmeline felt refreshed after her long night's sleep. She mentally thanked King Silas for allowing her to leave earlier than usual. She swung her legs out from under the covers and began getting ready for work.

While she made the same journey to the castle, Silas was arguing with his mother. Although it was early in the morning, it was the only time he felt he was calm enough to talk to her but it seemed that his judgement was incorrect as the conversation was becoming heated. Luckily they were in his study so no one could see his wrath. Lillian was currently sitting in one of the seats and candles lit up the room.

"Why did you feel the need to hit her? What is the matter with you?!"

Lillian rolled her eyes nonchalantly, "This is what you woke me up for? Silas, all she is is a maid. A maid that can not do her job" She muttered the last sentence.

"She is just as human as you or I, mother. Just because you hold a 'status' does not mean you are better than the people you rule!"

A sour expression crossed her face as she said nothing. Lillian's gaze never left her son's, as if to challenge him.

"Mother, if I find that you hit her again, you will no longer be welcomed on this land," Silas spoke with seriousness.

Lillian arose from the seat she sat in and scoffed, "You, my son, would banish me from the land because of a maid? A maid?!"

"I would advise you not to test my patience. I am close to commanding the guards to get you out of this palace." Silas warned.

"You have taken a liking to the maid, haven't you?" Lillian spoke smugly after a moments silence.

When Silas was preparing to speak he was interrupted by her laughter but he did not find any part of the conversation amusing.

"Mother, tread carefully when you are around me!" Silas said in a deadly calm tone, "Now, get out."

Lillian sauntered towards the door however she stopped when her hand grazed the door handle. "Son, I would advise you that love doesn't even come into play when running a country. Be wise with your decisions because it won't only be me you will have to worry about."

She walked out and closed the door behind her. Silas took a few paces towards his seat behind a grand oak desk. Closing his eyes, he breathed out hoping that the anger within would release with it.