Chapter 26

It didn't take long for the city to know of the affair that had occurred. Gossips could only speak of Emmeline's name and the infidelities.

What had heightened the town's discussion was the fact that Queen Zella had blown it out of proportion and made sure that Emmeline was disgraced including her family.

Her mother and sister did not know of the news until Esmeralda decided she needed new shoes and thought to buy her sister some jewellery since Emmeline didn't like buying herself nice things. Esme overheard the mention of her sister's name when admiring jewellery.

"That's her sister," the woman whispered to her friend, "I can't believe she is walking around the city as if nothing has happened. If I were Emmeline's sister and heard of the affair, I would never leave my house."

The women were of a higher class than Esmeralda, not that she cared. People were people and shouldn't be treated any differently because of a status they were going to leave the earth without.

Esme turned towards the ladies and spoke, "If I were you, I would refrain from speaking about my sister like that. You do not know her or me or my family."

"How rude. You are of a lower class, you cannot speak to us without being spoken to. How rude." The second woman spoke in a harsh tone.

The harsh tone only led to Esmeralda reciprocating the same tone, "What is rude is speaking on someone you know nothing about."

"Well, when you are able to see your sister before her beheading for treason, you can let her know that having an affair with the King was surely going to lead to that. Good day, rude little girl."

The woman walked away and Esmeralda stood in the silence. She scanned the shop only to find that all eyes were on her. She left the shop and sped home.

As soon as she opened the door she spoke, "Mother, Emmeline has been jailed for having an affair with the King, what should we do?"

Her mother's eyes went wide and there was only one solution that came to mind. She directed her eyes to her daughter who was standing terrified for her sister.

"Pack your bags, Esme. There is one person that I know can help."

"But why do we need to pack our bags?" Esmeralda said with confusion written on her face as she slowly walked toward her room in order not to disobey her mother.

"Esme, no questions. Just pack."

---------------------

Emmeline sat on the sheet of blanket on the ground, which was covered in straw. She felt like she was in a barn and she held her legs to her chest. Her head rested against the wall behind her as she hoped that whatever Silas had planned would work.

She couldn't fathom the idea that her death date was coming. She hadn't heard a word from her mother or sister, meaning that the issue hadn't reached the city yet (or so she thought).

She closed her eyes tightly and wished herself to be in a dream. She wished that she was in Silas' arms in bed in the cabin in the secret garden. When she opened them, she sighed as the disappointment was made present on her face.

The sound of shoes hitting the smooth stone floor outside of the cell. When Emmeline turned her head and saw who it was, she stood and rushed to the bars separating them.

"Leave." He spoke and the guards that followed him left.

"Silas? What's going on? What is this... plan?" She rushed out and whispered the last portion.

"You needn't worry. What is going to happen is that you will be presented in front of court, all you need to do is tell the truth."

"Silas, I'm putting every ounce of trust into you and this 'plan' of yours."