Chapter 8

Maids scurried and swarmed the kitchens, the corridors, and even the grounds. Emmeline spotted that there were more maids than usual. Last-minute preparations were made until it was indicated that all of the staff needed to go to greet the King's mother, Lillian before entering the palace.

Emmeline rushed with the throng of maids and other staff outside, at the doors of the palace. Corridor after corridor, the maids travelled a specific route to get to the grounds they were meeting the King's mother. At the end of the large crowd, Emmeline was following, clueless as to where she was going.

Meeting a familiar face, Harriet, settled her nerves. The front of the palace had vines climbing up part of the palace. Large marble stairs allowed entrance for the former Queen about to arrive. Five rows of the staff that worked in the palace stood tall outside. Emmeline stood next to Harriet and mimicked her posture and her movements.

The sound of hooves against the gravel was getting louder and louder. A carriage followed behind the two horses controlled by a footman. The horses and carriage began to slow down as it got closer. Emmeline admired the golden swirls printed on the inky carriage and the raven horses approaching.

Glancing to the side, Emmeline noticed Harriet beginning to bow as well as the rest of the staff and she began doing the same. When she lifted her head a little, she realised that the footman had put the wooden stool in front of the opening of the carriage and started opening the door. Emmeline's head bowed down as soon as she saw the King's mother exiting.

King Silas and Queen Zella stood on the first step from the ground. Silas held his sheathed sword, standing tall. His face was neutral and showed no emotion as it had earlier to Emmeline. The cloak he wore was a deep red and it swayed a little in the wind. Zella stood beside him with the same expression, a light pink, the long-sleeved dress clung to her body.
Nothing about the way they were standing showed unity but instead showed separation, a marriage made on obligation alone.

Like a swan, Lillian came out of the carriage with nothing but grace and flair. She wore a black and golden dress that trailed behind her. Her nose was in the air proudly as she had a small golden crown upon her light brown hair. Walking towards the couple, Lillian took no notice of the bowed staff, who began to rise and look straight ahead as Lillian glided past.

"I hope all is well son," Lillian said coldly.

"Welcome back mother," Silas replied just as supercilious as his mother's tone.

"Do not be flippant with me, son. Be thankful I took the time to visit."

Silas rolled his eyes as his mother carried on, "You wrote to me and told me I should make the effort to visit. Although," Lillian said, glancing and making a repulsed expression, "if I had the choice-"
"You wouldn't be here." Silas interrupted in anger. He clenched his fists and turned to walk away from his mother. Leaving Zella to deal with Lillian.

Zella started, "Don't mind him. He has been a little angry today." She finished and smiled kindly.

"Little girl, do not talk to me about my son as if I don't know him. Stay in the lane that has your name written on it and I'll stay in mine." Lillian shook her head as she climbed up the stairs, muttering incoherent insults. Lillian knew about the arranged marriage, she even encouraged him to marry her for peace and land however she did not even like her presence. She believed that someone like Zella should be seen not heard.

Zella commanded, angrily, "Depart and get back to work!" she screamed at the staff.

The staff began to scatter to their particular areas of work.

Emmeline made it back into the kitchen to assist Marissa in preparing dinner.

After a few hours of preparations, the royals were seated. Emmeline was given the role of giving the King's mother her food. At that point, she had served the royals (Silas and Zella) several times to have no nerves when giving food to Lillian.