Chapter 17

Pulled back into the void of sadness, it lingered in her petite physique. The moment she walked out of the cloakroom, she felt so filthy from what she had done with Silas previously.

How could she be naïve and ignore the fact that King Silas was married? Why did she convince herself that something could grow from this?

One thing that tortured Emmeline's mind was the fact that the maid that came into the room while she was with Silas, must have told someone who then passed it on but there was hardly anything Emmeline could do now, the deed was done.

It wasn't as if her current predicament was any better, if anything fate was definitely against her as well as the entire universe.

Standing stiffly, Emmeline was in a room with King Silas and Queen Zella, who was sitting in a comfortably cushioned chair in front of Emmeline.

The role given to Emmeline was to fulfil the needs of the Queen for the day. She had stood for a good few hours, she could tell because her legs began to ache, which resulted in her fidgeting in the spot she stood.

Her fingers picked at the broken nail on her left middle finger. Queen Zella had side-eyed her after her fidgeting began.

"Maid." Emmeline's head shot up upon hearing Zella speak.

"Yes, your highness?" Emmeline said after rushing in front of her and bowing.

Zella's feet were upon a plush pink stool and her hands held a thick book that she was in the middle of.

"Get me something from the kitchen, I am hungry." She demanded, taking no notice of the maid in front of her as her eyes were buried in a book.

Immediately, Emmeline left and headed to the kitchen, ignoring the stares of a silent Silas, who sat across the room with an unlabelled book in his hands.

Emmeline meandered leisurely back to the room after informing the kitchen that the Queen was hungry. They told Emmeline that they would send someone with food to the room.

Corridor after corridor, she sauntered admiring the vases and paintings until suddenly a large hand grabbed her forearm and she was pulled into a well-lit room. All that she let out was a gasp when she had realised.

She was swiftly turned and her front was pressed to Silas' front with her back against the door.

"Silas..." she breathed out. "W-what are you doing?"

He administered a single kiss, which was prolonged for a couple of seconds before Silas pulled away. Resting his forehead on hers, he calmed his erratic breathing.

"What happened in that room?" He paused and took a step back, holding onto her forearm, "What was said?"

Emmeline's gaze rushed to the floor before shaking her head as a way of telling him that she would not let the temptation of spilling words from between her ruddy lips get to her.

"I am not a man to ask twice, Emmeline." He spoke in all seriousness.

"They didn't say much and that isn't what is bothering me. The one thing Ida did say was 'how does it feel to play whore?'."

"What?! She said that?! I'll make sure that she's dealt with."

"It made me feel... this thing that's happening between us-"

"This connection, you mean." Silas interrupted with a stern expression.

"If you can describe it as such, " She continued, "it is wrong."

Silas turned and walked up to a table a few feet from where they had stood to lean on and put his hands upon. He simply stared and Emmeline took it as a hint to continue expressing her thoughts.

"I have had doubtful thoughts from the beginning."

Silas asked, simply, "What were they?"

Emmeline hesitated, "Well, the fact that you are married is one. It somehow makes me think you are using me in a way."

"To put your mind at ease, that marriage wasn't one of choice but I do understand your concerns. You're maybe thinking, how can I be truthful and faithful to you if I am not to my wife?"

Emmeline nodded her head, "Yes."

"Between us, this is my choice. To stand here, to be around you, to hold you. All of it is my choice. I do not say it to play games. I say it with full solidarity and my heart." Silas reassured her.

"It's not the only thing bothering me, I-" She spoke after taking in every word Silas spoke. "You are the King."

Emmeline stepped towards him and continued, "You are the King and I am merely a maid who is supposed to serve you. This brings me the concern about how this would work. I doubt people would look at you any differently if they found out about this affair."

Silence enveloped them as Emmeline stared into thin air, thinking through her previous decisions that led her here.

"Emmeline I must urge you to stop speaking of yourself so lowly. It makes me angry." He started before moving towards Emmeline to place his large hands on either side of her face, using his thumbs to caress her cheeks.

He made hypnotizing eye contact with her before proceeding, "I will do everything, everything in my power to have you next to me. Don't doubt my word for it when I say I will fight for this. For us."

"But you don't seem to understand, Silas. If we are caught the consequences could be dire. I do not mean to sound voracious but if I lose this job, my family suffers and they already go through enough stress as it is. This is our only source of income and a scandal like this could leave me jobless for years to come. As well as affect Esme's employment in the future and how people treat her." Emmeline poured a jug of worries for Silas to listen to. Whether he would hear and process the words she spoke made her anxious.

His lips were upon hers and caressed softly and slowly. The troubles and fears flowed out into a meaningful kiss, reassuring her that he had heard her apprehensions. He allowed her to know that it rendered his heart weak when she spoke of the impacts of the affair.

Something he couldn't accomplish was the answer: if this was all wrong and immoral, how come kissing her put him at peace? How come he craved the stability and serenity she bestowed? How is it he was drawn to her seductive ways even when she had not tried to seduce him?

All of his questions needed no answers because she also provided safety for him and he knew deep within him that this sinful act was right.

The kiss ceased, and both Emmeline and Silas embraced each other tightly as if hanging on to each other by a single thread even though numerous invisible ones connected them.

Silas used his fingers to move Emmeline's dark hair out of her eyes as she laid her head upon his chest, wrapping her arms around his midsection. Finding tranquillity at the moment, her eyes closed listening to the thud! Thud! Thud! Against his ribcage.

"I know actions mean more than words but words are all I have at this moment. But I must assure you, Emmeline, nothing will happen to you or your family so long as I have breath in my lungs and my heart still beats. When I lose both those things, you will have been right by my side for many years. Do not doubt my words."

---------------------------------
A/N

Hi, Almost finished with exams and can hopefully update more than once a week.

Let me know how you found this book.

Please comment, share and vote (if you like)

~Peitho