Chapter 19

Warning ⚠️: sexual content

Stars had coated the raven sky, the wind blew directly into Emmeline's face as she hugged her thin cloak around her exposed arms. She had been called into the palace after having a day of freedom from the palace.

The temperature was slowly dropping as she willed herself to climb the gravel stairs leading to the palace gates.

When she had gained entrance, Emmeline rushed in through the kitchen to find nothing but the silence it was enveloped in. She saw a few maids working as she passed them down the corridor she wandered down to put her belongings away.

On her way back, she swung her arms and had a hop in her step. She was happy that she was able to spend time with her sister, who was on school break, and her mother. Emmeline had been a little worried over the past weeks. She seemed to get better but then got a little worse but Emmeline knew it to be normal since the winter was upon them.

Reaching the kitchen once again, she found an awaiting King. Silas had seen her pass through the gardens in his window. He was dressed in a thick navy blue cloak that trailed behind him as all his cloaks did, his clothes matched it on them had golden buttons, and his golden jewellery showed prominence on the colour he wore.

"Emmeline follow me." His voice at a deep octave, gazing into the brown sights that stared back.

He began to take wide strides and she followed behind him.

The gusts of wind still prevailed, making Emmeline shiver having forgotten to take her cloak, which was now uselessly hung up on a hook in the belongings room. Her teeth chattered and her hands covered the exposed skin on her arms. Her dress was the only one she had left that was not covered in dirt and dust.

Silas swivelled to reassure that the movement behind him was hers but only turned to be horrified at the sight. Immediately, he took off his cloak and placed it on her shoulders.

"Are you more comfortable this way?" his voice was husky and lowered.

Emmeline glanced into his eyes as he held her shoulders from her side. She nodded yes and he spoke once again. "We are nearly at the garden. This way."

Minutes passed as they walked to Silas' secret garden, they arrived and rushed into the cabin.

The stairs allowed them to pass into the main room. Silas made a fire after offering Emmeline a seat on the sofa in front of the fireplace.

"Thank you, Silas, for your hospitality but..." Emmeline started but stopped.

Silas was adjusting the logs in the fireplace but his actions halted to turn his attention to her. "You needn't thank me. I am the one that brought you here. What did you want to say?"

"Why?" she paused, "Why did you bring me here?"

"I don't know," Silas concluded after moments of silence. "I simply don't know."

Emmeline smirked a little then frowned, "Silas, if you have nothing to say then-"

"Emmeline, it had occurred to me that..." Silas' nervousness was slowly at the surface, Emmeline found the sight almost wondrous, "I have not been clear about how I-" he gritted his teeth. "I have taken a liking to you."

This immediately formed a small smile on Emmeline's face. "I will be truthful with you, I knew but your confirmation makes it more true. But what I don't understand is why? What is it about me that you don't see in other women?"

"You mean Zella." He exhaled, "Emme when the marriage is arranged you already have no feelings for the person but to spend every day knowing your true emotions only confirms it more. She may be someone's love but she isn't mine. You are."