Chapter 27

A new day had come and Emmeline couldn't stop her mind from racing. Worry clouded her judgement and she could not sleep as the anticipation of the trial left her hands sweaty and her mind a mess.

After spending two days in the cell, she had thought over every action that had led her to this point. When thinking about Silas and the things they had done, she didn't feel guilt or regret for her actions since her love overpowered those feelings. As well as that, Silas visited her regularly with food and to reassure her that everything would be okay.

Emmeline tried to pry information about this plan that Silas had but nothing slipped out. All he would say is 'the Queen has ears everywhere', reminding her of what Harriet had told her months ago.

A loud clunk sounded at the bars of the cell which made Emmeline look up at the unannounced guard in a fright before relaxing.

"Miss Emmeline, your trial is due to start."

Emmeline nodded, sadly and her breathing began shaking subtly. Before she knew it, large, metal handcuffs were around her wrists and ankles. The chain being pulled on by the guard was leading her to the room where the trial was going to be held and there she stood on a trial stand looking over a crowd of angry people ready to defend their Queen.

Some yelled, "Justice for our Queen Zella!" and the other jeered. Some sneered and made comments on her appearance and even went as far to call her a witch.

Hopelessness settled in Emmeline's chest and her head bowed down to hide her angry tears building up in her eyes. She took a breath, blinked the tears away and looked up at the crowd standing in front of her. Her head held high with the faith that Silas would keep his promise and get her out of the predicament.

Meanwhile Silas had commanded for the gates to open as Elias' carriage came through, early in the morning.

As soon as Elias stepped out of the carriage with Esmeralda and Alice, Silas welcomed them in and gave them a room to relax in before the trial began.

"Elias, what is your plan? Why were you on your way here?" Alice asked curiously.

Esme was also curious but hadn't spoken for the whole trip after finding out about her father.

"Well, it's-"

Silas burst through the door and spoke, "It's time for Emmeline's trial. We need to go."

Elias gathered the papers that were in his leather bag that also contained his clothes.

--------------------------------------------

Emmeline had been standing in front of the crowd for five minutes before Zella strutted in, with her hands clasped in front of her and her extravagant dress trailing behind her embellished in jewels on a burgundy and dark gold fabric. Her crown on top of her head had rubies and crystals embedded in it. Beside her was her father in his royal cloak in a blood red colour and his silver crown wrapped around his ginger hair.

This only encouraged people to cheer for the queen and belittle Emmeline. It wasn't until Silas walked in that everyone was silent.

Immediately everyone's eyes went to Silas, not with the same eyes they looked at Emmeline with but with respect and some in awe that they were within arms reach of the King.

The trial had commenced and the first on to speak was Zella, which was no surprise.

"This maid has committed treason against the crown, punishable by death. This woman went behind my back and slept with my husband. The fact that she is not hanged yet is beyond me!"

Silas stood to speak, "The affair occurred because of me, I will not turn a blind eye to the fact that you have all accused her but have yet to point the blame at me I-"

"Look, look," Zella pointed at Silas wide eyed and hysterical, "She has bewitched him. No King would ever defend someone of her status. There are witnesses who have seen this happen."'

Emmeline looked towards the crowd and out came Ida, Elizabeth and Rosemary.

"We have witnessed Emmeline seduce the King so that she could get out of working. She would also sneak him into the garden and the wouldn't come back until morning. " Elizabeth said and the others nodded. The crowd was furious and began shouting names in hope of seeing her fall.

In the midst of the three girls' accusations, Emmeline scanned over the crowd once more and saw her mother and sister. The velocity of emotions clouded her eyes but cleared her mind, all this time she had been putting faith and trust in Silas when she hadn't considered how much it would affect the people she loved most, had she had minded her own business and focused on working, she wouldn't be standing where she was.

Emmeline knew that there was nothing she could say or do to make the crowd understand. She loved Silas but the hope of being free was beginning to fade into nothingness.

Flashing in her mind was moments where her mother was in hospital, where Esme was crying. Times where both Esme and her mother had come back from shopping and had huge grins on their faces as they surprised Emmeline with new dresses and jewellery, telling her she deserved every piece. Seeing her mother being able to stand and move around as she was doing recently, gave her hope that everything she did wasn't for nothing.

She broke out of this spell when the judge stopped everyone from talking and gave her a chance to explain herself.

"I understand the seriousness of my actions but I couldn't help but fall for Si- um King Silas," the crowd jeered and chants of hanging her began to sound once again until the judge hushed them to let Emmeline speak, "I fell for his kindness, his gentleness. I love him and if I were to die knowing that I have experienced love, I wouldn't oppose it. I'm sorry, mama, I got the job to help you and Esme but instead I have bought a lifetime of shame onto you". Her words choked under her sobbed.

Silas shook his head with his eyebrows scrunched as if he wanted to say something personal to her but refrained. His heart broke at the sound of her sobs.

Silas couldn't stop himself, he wanted everyone to stop begging for Emmeline's execution.

"I married Zella under the impression that she was a princess of a foreign land and her father was King but I have found that to all be lies. The kingdom that they were 'ruling over' is ruled by someone else and her father is a butler who caters to the King of the land and Zella... Zella was the maid for the princess there. They stole clothes and crowns from the Royals and lied to everyone about their status."

The judge asked, "Your highness, may I ask, do you have proof of this?"

"A letter from the King and Princess with their signatures and letters in a box from the King and Princess that have been sent over the years kept in Zella's box."

Silas turned to Zella and said, "Confess! You were never royalty and you lied to me."

Zella had tears trailing down her face, "I was forced to Silas! I wouldn't have done it please. Please forgive me."

Silas turned to the judge in search of his approval for a new case that had arisen after handing the evidence over to him.

"That is also treason Mrs Zella, making this trial null and void. We would have to try this as adultery instead."

Before the gravel could hit the alpha matting, Elias opened the doors to the courtroom and immediately people bowed acknowledging his status. The crowd parted to make room for King Elias.

"King Elias!" The judge said while bowing his head to show respect. "What brings you here?"

"Emmeline is my daughter." His eyes travelled to Emmeline, who stared in shock. "I wish to take her out of court."

She then looked at her mother and mouthed, "What?" Her face was confused.
——————————————————
A/N
In honour of @d_nina89 and their support, I wrote this chapter for them.

How are you finding the book so far?

What is one spontaneous thing that you have done or have yet to do? I'm curious and I want ideas to add to my bucket list 😂

~Peitho