Chapter 23

Morning larks chipped and crows squawked, light invaded the cabin landing on the sleeping couple. Emmeline's eyes fluttered open and in confusion, scanned the environment she was in. She was quick to remember her journey to the cabin.

"Silas," she croaked through her morning voice. "Silas, wake up."

She shook him a little to wake him from his slumber. A groan emitted from his throat and he pulled her closer to him.

"Silas, come on. We don't want to be late." Emmeline smiled.

Her chance to escape came when Silas let go of her to stretch. She began to put her clothes on and glanced over at Silas, who had now put his arm over his eyes to block out the little light that was entering the cabin.

Emmeline walked up to his awake but tired form and attempted after getting dressed to persuade him out of the soft heaven that was his bed. "Silas...Come on, we need to start going to the carriage." 

His eyes were wide open and he had removed his arm from his face, he stared at Emmeline and stroked her cheek before sitting up and moving out of the bed.

"Who usually wakes you?"

Silas shrugged, "Nobody, I guess my reason to get out of bed is because I am not fond of the other person that sleeps in it."

"Interesting, but you are willing to give me a hard time waking you when you're more than capable." She shook her head laughing, "What are we going to do with you?"

Her statement made Silas chuckle while he buckled up his trousers after putting his shirt on. "Well, I hope you love me enough not to do anything at all." He smiled and put his cloak on.

Emmeline smiled widely when Silas spoke of love, she hadn't thought about it but she didn't need to since actions speak louder than words, right? She didn't need to say it when her actions were more than capable of doing so. As well as this, Silas is an intelligent man, he didn't need her to say the words because it was as if he had known her for an eternity.  

They gathered their things before leaving the cabin. As Silas closed the door, the birds flew from tree to tree, crowing and singing. Silas' arm curled around Emmeline's waist and adjusted her cloaak so that she would be warm.

They meandered their way through royal gardens before turning to each other.

"I am going to get my things from my bedroom. Go to the front door of the palace, the carriage should be there and the footman will load your luggage." Silas stroked her cheek and kissed her forehead before leaving.

Emmeline did as she was told and she sat waiting for Silas with Harriet in the carriage. They chatted with excitement and caught up with each other.

Silas strode towards the black carriage with confidence. His luggage was situated while he joined both maids in the carriage.

After a few minutes, preparations came to an end and it was time to begin the journey. The large gates opened and the carriage filled with the noise of the huge wheels rolling over stones and different terrain as well as the horse's hooves against it.

Emmeline had pulled the curtain to the side to see the view that was quickly passing them. It was mostly filled with trees since they had been travelling through a forest. The trees stood like soldiers and stretched out for miles.

When she looked down at the road they used to travel, she could see that many people had used that way to the point that tracks were embedded on the road.

Occasionally, Emmeline or Harriet would spot a deer or a fox or a bird but the way there felt neverending.

She finally closed the curtain and looked to Harriet, who was now asleep, lulled by the sway of the carriage. Her eyes turned to meet Silas, who had been deep in thought the whole time. However, when he felt Emmeline stare at the side of his head he finally turned his head to face her. He smiled, raising an eyebrow.