Chapter 18

Emmeline now felt alleviated after the talk with Silas. The reassurance of his words swirled in her mind, she only hoped his words were true but trust played a key role throughout their forbidden romance. She had to trust that his actions would correspond to his words.

Though she couldn't help the doubt that invaded her mind. She hadn't thought of the consequences at the beginning but now they were rushing through her mind at a rapid pace.

She had gone home that day and looked after her mother, preparing food and bathing herself. Only her mother was home and Esme was nowhere to be seen but Emmeline swiftly remembered that she was staying at her friend's home.

Emmeline was still sceptical about Esme's "friends"-as she put it- since they were the same people that laughed and made fun of her. This made Emmeline's blood boil but had hoped that her sister would figure out for herself whether they were friends worth keeping. As much as she wanted to control the situation, she couldn't nor was it her place to do so.

Now Emmeline was taking the linen off of the King and Queens bed. She had finally broken herself out of her brief daydream of yesterday when she had just finished work for that day.

Tugging and struggling, she was finally able to pull the heavy animal fur off of the bed. She groans, wiping the perspiration off of her forehead, one of the maids who made the bed had tucked the blanket under the mattress to give it a clean look.

The door opened and closed with a heavy but soft bang. Halting her movements, Emmeline dropped the blanket and bowed to whomever was walking through the door in case it was the King or Queen or both.

Silas meandered through casually and chuckled when he saw Emmeline bowing. "I think that we have passed the formalities, don't you think?"

Emmeline looked up and stood to her full height, "Well I didn't know who it was and it's respect."

"Well can't you be respectful without bowing? I do not like it, it makes me feel that we are not equals."

"Of course I can be respectful but you are still the King and who says I do not feel like we're equals?" Emmeline smirked and raised an eyebrow.

She continued to remove the covers from the bed and Silas gazed at her in amazement and he smiled himself, watching her in admiration.

"I am pleased to know that you feel equal to me. Do you need help with that?"

Before Emmeline could answer, Silas was already by her side pulling the blanket with ease. "Oh, Silas, do you still remember your King? Kings don't do this."

"Well how could I forget when you remind me everytime our eyes catch each other's gaze?" Silas declared, still helping with Emmeline's chores.

"I'm truly sorry. I did not mean to make you feel guilty about being King."

Silas smiled, "Don't apologise, Emme. It only reminds me of how one day you'll be queen."

Emmeline rolled her eyes and gestured to the table upon it was the daily breakfast that had been requested, "Have your breakfast before someone comes in here and blames me for your hunger."

He waited a moment, his eyes smiled and he said, "No rolling your eyes at me, Emmeline. You will learn later that I do not tolerate disrespect."

Actions paused as she turned to face Silas while speaking his voice lowered an octave, making Emmeline's heartbeat faster and her breaths become shallow. The authority that asserted through his voice made the feeling she felt the time she touched herself come rushing back.

Silas swivelled, sat at the table and began eating in silence.

Bang!! The large and heavy wooden door was closed with such ferocity. Queen Zella entered and immediately made her way to sit next to Silas, who was holding a cup of herbal tea to his lips.