twenty-six

Corinne held her breath as she sat in the air, she breathed out shakily as she tried to focus. "Calm," she whispered, "I must be calm," she repeated. She opened her eyes as she heard the front door open and she quickly lowered herself onto the ground. Corinne stood up and peered from her room to see Alex who seemed distracted, she stared at him and smiled to herself. He still looked the same, his hair grew though and it looked awesome. Corinne watched as he frowned before throwing his sunglasses onto the table. 

Alex then caught Corinne's gaze, he looked away angrily and walked into the kitchen. Corinne frowned and walked out of her room confused, "Alex," she started before walking into the kitchen, "Are you okay?" she asked quietly. Alex didn't answer and Corinne bit her lip nervously as she walked towards him, she tried to reach for his hand but he pulled away, "Not right now Corinne," he muttered angrily. Corinne frowned and nodded before staring at him confused, what happened? Why was he upset? 

"Okay," she whispered, "That's fine, I'll just go to Carter's place early," she said before walking away, Corinne then looked back and watched as Alex looked away from her. "I'll see you in a week," she muttered before grabbing her jacket and putting it on. "There's food in the fridge and make sure you check on the cat before going to work," Corinne said quickly before walking to her room. She looked around and grabbed her bag before sighing, "No wait," she heard Alex say, "Come on, let's talk," he said quickly before walking towards the couch.

Corinne watched as he waited for her to sit down before sitting on the carpet, she frowned, "Are you not going to sit next to me?" she asked as she took off her jacket. Alex looked back at her and shook his head, "No," he answered, Corinne laughed before rolling her eyes. She heard Alex laugh as he looked away from her, Corinne sat crisscrossed on the couch before touching the top of Alex's head. "Did you want me to braid your hair or something?" she joked as she brushed her fingers through his hair. 

Alex looked back at her and sighed, "I'm sorry, I just had a bad day at work," he muttered. Corinne nodded and quickly uncrossed her legs. He stood up and went to sit next to her, "How was your day?" he asked softly, Corinne frowned, there was something he wasn't telling her. She smiled and pulled him closer towards her, "It was good," Corinne whispered before bringing her arms around Alex, "Mm, Alex," she muttered softly as she leaned her head on his. Alex placed his head on her lap and looked up at her, "You're so beautiful," he whispered gently as he brought his hand to her face. 

"Oh stop, can you tell me what's wrong?" she asked curiously as she ruffled his hair, Alex laughed softly before closing his eyes. "It's nothing you have to worry about Rinne," he muttered before moving his head closer to Corinne's stomach. Corinne stared at him and smiled to herself, he looked so- "Cute," she whispered softly. "Come here," she said before bringing him up, he sat up and stared at her curiously. Corinne leaned in and kissed him passionately, he kissed back before wrapping his arms around her and pulling her close. "I love you," she muttered in between kisses. 

Alex then pulled away, "We haven't done that in awhile," he started, Corinne nodded and kissed him again, hard. He was everything, Alex was her everything, he spread out her legs before pulling her closer towards him. Alex kissed her before carrying her onto him, Corinne wrapped her legs around him and quickly went to take off his belt, "I know," she whispered before kissing him again. "I love you," she muttered. Alex nodded and quickly grabbed onto her arm before she could do anything else. "Is everything okay?" he asked slowly. 

Corinne nodded and placed her forehead on his, "I have you," she started, "Everything is fine," she whispered softly before kissing him passionately. She pushed him onto the couch and Alex shook his head, "Not right now Rinne," he said before sitting back up. Corinne frowned and she looked away from him confused, was it her? Did she do something wrong? Did she not look good enough? "Come on, let's just order a pizza or something and watch a movie, okay?" he asked. Corinne stared back at him and nodded before he patted her head lightly as he walked away. 

--

"Oh god," Corinne muttered in disbelief as she stared at the news, "No, no," she whispered before standing up. Alex held onto her arm and shook his head, "Corinne, don't tell me you're going to leave," he said. Corinne sighed and stared at him before bringing her hand to his face and nodding, "He's my brother Alex, if he's going around killing people, I have to stop him," she muttered. Alex sighed and nodded, "Okay, just- are you sure you want to go alone? Because I could go with you Rinne," he said quickly. 

Corinne shook her head, if Alex went, he'd probably be in danger, it wasn't worth it. "No, no, Alex, it's fine, I'll go myself," she said before looking away. She grabbed her jacket and put it on, she then looked back at Alex. "I love you," she whispered before grabbing the sides of his face and kissing him lightly. Alex then grabbed onto her arms and shook his head, "You can't go by yourself Corinne, what if you get hurt?" he asked worriedly. Corinne gave him a certain look and rolled her eyes before laughing, "When have I ever gotten hurt?" she muttered, "I'm strong enough," she said. 

Alex frowned, "Corinne, don't say that, you're not invincible," he said, Corinne noticed the way he stared at her, it was filled with concern. "Don't you remember when you got shot?" he asked, "I can't bear to see you hurt like that again," he muttered softly. He held onto her hands and sighed, "So please, stay here," he whispered, "I love you, I don't want you to get hurt," he said. Corinne frowned and quickly looked away, she shook her head and pulled her hands away from his. "You can't stop me from going Alex," she muttered, "I'm going whether you like it or not," she said. 

"Corinne." Alex started, "Corinne!" he continued as Corinne started to walk away, she ignored him and opened the front door. "Corinne if you step out that door, I can't promise you I'll still be here when you come back!" he shouted. Corinne stopped and her eyes widened confused, what was he talking about? "Are you threatening to leave me if I go?" she scoffed in disbelief before turning to face him. Alex rolled his eyes and shook his head, "No I didn't mean that," he muttered, "I just don't want you to leave," 

Corinne frowned, "I think I know well what you meant," she muttered before walking out of the house, Alex followed her and groaned in annoyance. "Corinne, I didn't mean it!" he said. Corinne shook her head and didn't look back. She stopped walking as she realized Alex had stopped following her. Corinne looked back and he was looking at the ground, "Alex," she whispered before walking towards him, "Alex," she repeated, "I love you but I have to do this Alex," she begged. "Please, trust me. I promise I will do whatever I can to come back," she said. 

"Okay," Alex replied before looking up and staring at her softly, "Okay, I love you," he whispered before placing his forehead on hers. "I love you so much," he muttered before wrapping his arms around Corinne. "I love you," he mumbled before kissing her forehead lightly, "I love you," he repeated. Corinne nodded and stared at him softly, "I love you too Alex, I love you too," she whispered gently before kissing him passionately. "See you in a bit," she smiled before walking away.