13: unwittingly protective

"Ey kid, would ya slow down?!"

Spinel called indignantly to you, who was running ahead in a blind joy, feeling the warm breeze whip against your face and the fresh Seabreeze fill your nose, just fueling your elation. And thanks to the wind whipping against your face, you didn't hear the pink gem behind you.

You turned back to look at her, smiling widely in elation. "What was that, ms-?!"

THUNK!!

You suddenly smacked into something, sending you sprawling onto your back with a rather painful thump into the ground.

"OUCH! HEY, WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!"

Your eyes snapped open, and you find a relatively tall, fair skinned man with short dark brown hair. He wore a reddish-brown jacket over a magenta red shirt with a white stripe down the middle, along with a white scarf strung around his neck and dark-teal skinny jeans, with short boots which were the same color as his jacket. His dark brown eyes were fixed on you with incredible annoyance. "I-I'm sorry, sir! I-I didn't see ya there!"

Quickly however, his look of annoyance faded, being replaced with the look of suspicion. "Wait... are you... one of those weird alien rock people that started living here?"

You scrambled to your feet, stumbling over yourself fiddling with your hands nervously as you felt yourself shake subtly beneath his curious gaze. "Well... We actually prefer the term gems, but... yeah! I've started living here right after Mr. Universe liberated the galaxy!" You put on a friendly smile and stretched your legs upto his height, making him gasp in surprise as you held out your hand to the person. "My name's (name)! Nice to meet ya!" He stares at your outstretched hand for several seconds before leaning down, to grasp it into an uneasy hand shake. "...Kevin." He replied in a near mutter, squinting his eyes slightly, as you giggled, reverting your legs back to their original length. "You know... don't look like most of the... gem people that started to come around here." His eyes scanning your small form, making you feel quite uncomfortable. "Well... It's probably because spinels are still a bit of a rare gem type." You shrugged. Kevin raised his brow. "Rare gem type?"

"Well yeah. See, back then era 2 homeworld were more focused on fighting and... keeping the empire under control, so they focused on more creating soldiers and tactical engineers than entertainers. That's probably why you don't see so much of us." You gestured to yourself, in which Kevin hummed, looking mildly interested but mostly bored. "Entertainer, huh?" He looks contemplatively at you. "...yeah, I can see that." He suddenly pokes at your pigtail, making you flinch at the sudden contact. "You look a lot like... one of those old style... cartoons. Or a mascot."

You tilted your head to the side, with a cartoonish look of confusion. "Masc-wha?"

"Ey! What's goin' on over here?"

You both snapped your heads up to find spinel approaching you both, with a prominent glare on her face. Quickly, she gets beside you and puts her arm out in front of you, her glare hardening at the human before you. "This guy causin' ya trouble, (name)?" Kevin scoffed, taking a step back. "Well, I didn't do anything." He shrugged nonchalantly. "She's the one that rammed into me first." He looks back down at you both, wearing quite a tired, substantially irritated glare. "It's always gems that start the trouble, anyways, then they drag others down into the messes that they make."

Spinel blinked, letting out a noise of offense, her scowl becoming cartoonish as she stretched her legs to loom over the offender, prompting him to step back in surprise. "Now you listen here, you little-"

"Ahah, ms. Spinel, let's not make a scene..! It was just an accident!" You smiled uneasily, pushing her back down. "I bumped into him first anyway! Please relax!" Spinel growls behind her teeth, but complies, retracting her legs until she was at her original height, not taking her eyes off the opposing man. You cleared your throat and turned to politely smile up at Kevin, giggling uneasily. "S-sorry about that, Mr. Kevin! Spinel's new here, so she's still a bit uneasy around humans." You then bowed your head towards him slightly. "We promise to stay out of your way, and more importantly, out of trouble." You lifted your head back up, to side glance Spinel. "Right, ms. Spinny?" Spinel's gaze flickered between you and Kevin, her cheeks burning subtly at the nickname, but she groaned quietly. "Y-yeah. Sure."

Kevin stood in silence, his eyes flicking between you and spinel, with his arms crossed in annoyance, but he sighs, shrugging his shoulders as he relaxed them. "..alright." He takes a few steps back, in preparation to leave, before fixing Spinel with one final glare. "You're lucky your little sister's adorable." With that he simply walks off.

"Why that little-" Spinel snarled, before being halted by you pushing against her chest gently. "Steady, there's no reason to get all angry anymore." Spinel gave you an incredulous look. "(Name) didn't ya hear what he said?!" You shook your head at her, a tired expression on your face. "Take it easy. he's gone now. No point in doing anything now. That would probably make things worse." You look off to the side, rubbing the back of your head. "It was my fault anyways." You huffed, but took her hand, looking up at her with a light-hearted smile on your face. "Come on, let's get home before the ice cream melts. And this time, we'll walk the rest of the way."

She stares hard at you for several minutes, feeling a foreign sense of ease come over her as she saw the serenity shimmering in your eyes. How can I refuse a face like that? Letting out a sigh of defeat, she gave a nod. "Alright, kid."

Your smile widens, and you both resume your way home in a peaceful silence, hand in hand.

However, despite the calmness of the walk, the two words that were spoken today decided to repeat themselves in her head.

Two simple words that bothered her to no end.

Little sister.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why did I put Kevin of all characters in here?

Because I'm not creative enough to make some kind of random person.

And of course he's ooc here because, I feel that in the span of the 2 years that passed, he might have mellowed out a bit since his last meeting with steven (stevonnie more-or-less), and had become less of an outward jackwad, but is still quite salty and prickly around the edges.

And we've never seen how he'd act around a full gem, but I'd think he'd be uneasy with them, since they're known for what they tried to do to earth n all of that. Naturally, he'd likely try to avoid them.

but since you look the most harmless amongst the gems he'd come across (I.E. quartz soldiers), not to mention your charming spinel aura, he kind of let his guard down slightly.

You should be honored to have such power.