15: something ain't right

"So... what did you think of today, miss spinel?" You bounded over to spinel just as she finished off her sundae before setting the bowl aside on the coffee table, resting against the couch with a content sigh. You giggled at her relaxed nature as you collected the bowl from her and skipped over to the kitchen to wash them in the sink. "Pretty fun, right?"

She shrugged, licking a stray dribble of fudge off her lip, trying to look indifferent. "Not bad, I'll admit." She replied nonchalantly. "The 'shopping' part had too many humans, though."

You giggled lightly, putting the dishes away and skipping over to spinel, beaming at her innocently. "Ah, don't worry, little homeschool will be different. There will be WAY more gems there!"

Spinel inwardly winced at the mention of the school, but managed to force an uneasy smirk onto her face. "Ah... y-yeah... that." She uttered meekly, rubbing her arm nervously. "Oh, don't worry about it so much! You're going to love it!" You replied cheerily, drying the dishes and putting them away before bounding over to spinel, your eyes shining with so much childish joy that it made spinel flinch. "Do ya need anything else before I turn in for the night?"

"Uh..." Spinel sneered uncomfortably at how much joy your face showed.

Geez, she looks almost like pink when she finally got that stupid colony

Geez, she looks almost like pink when she finally got that stupid colony... Spinel didn't even think she looked this happy, even with pink around. Were all spinels this... untroubled?? Shaking off her discomfort, she lightly shook her head with an uneasy chuckle. "N-no, kid... I think I'm good." You nodded and skipped your way up the stairs, in preparation for your nightly routine of sleep prep.

"Still, kid I'm not so sure about this whole little homeschool thing!" Spinel called up, unfolding her blanket from the couch backing.

"Oh, don't be silly, miss spinny!" You chirped, phasing out of your normal outfit into a (color) one piece nightwear with a (color) star on the chest. "We're gonna see all the neat things that are being taught there, a lot involving human culture! And who knows, you might make some new friends there!"

"Yeah, especially with the gems Iet when I first came here." Spinel grumbled, looking down. "Ya know, sooner or later, someone's gonna connect the dots and then-"

"Stop thinking like that, miss spinel!" You interrupted, your tone carrying a childish frustration to it. "Bad thoughts make for bad spinels!"

Spinel blinked. "What-?"

"Besides, you've been here long enough for everything to have mellowed out. I'm sure gems forgot how reluctant you were at first to give earth a chance. And I'm sure most of them even understand!" You explained with an air of confidence, as you picked up your favorite cookie cat plush and climbed into bed, smiling contently into the soft blankets. "Everything's going to be just fine! Just you wait!"

Spinel rolled her eyes with a mildly disgusted groan. Even if it was good to have, your optimism was could be quite... overbearing at times. "You might wanna take it easy with the optimism there, kiddo." Spinel rumbled, laying back on the couch. "Not everything is going to be okay just because you say so."

"Hey, it's worked so far, right?" Came your light reply, followed by a soft giggle. "Besides, It's kept me in control for the most part of my lifetime."

You gasped, clapping a hand to your mouth as spinel looked up towards the loft with a lifted brow. "What was that about-?"

"Nighty night, miss spinel!"

Ignoring her protests, you quickly nestled yourself deeper beneath your blankets, practically burying your head into your pillow. You clenched your eyes shut and let sleep drag you away, leaving spinel in a dumbfounded silence.

Spinel briefly thought about persisting in asking what you said, but she shook her head, not wanting to invoke anything. "...okay, goodnight, then..." Settling down into the couch, and pulling the blanket over her shoulder shutting her own eyes.

That gem isn't right...
~~~~~~~~~