19: little homeschool: art class

"I swear, kid, you better have deleted that last picture-!"

"Hehe, I did, I did! See, look!" You showed her your phone again, scrolling through your gallery to show her your proof. She grumbled, her cheeks still dark in modesty. "Still can't believe ya sneak attacked me like that..."

"Aw, but ya looked so cute with that confused look on your face!" You smirked in a cheeky manner at her, in which spinel rolled her eyes. "Whateva, brat." She smirked playfully, before sighing. "Ya know imma getcha back when I get my own phone thingy, right?"

You giggled. "Fair enough."

Spinel chuckled, looking around the still active school grounds. "What's next on the agenda?"

You bounded happily, picking up your pace as spinel speedwalked to keep up with your pace. "This next one's a personal favorite of mine; Art Class! Taught by Mrs. Vidalia!"

You gestured to the gathering of gems equipped with easels and pencils, attempting to sketch the petite yellow pearl's gracefully pose atop a platform. Watching the gems do so was a human woman with thick pale orange-peach hair done in a bob style. Upon hearing her name, the middle-aged woman turned to you both, smiling once she saw your face. "Ah, thought I recognized that voice."

The woman chuckled turning her away from her students to face you both. "How have you been, squirt?" She greeted, ruffling your hair playfully.

"Never better, Mrs. V!" You giggled, shaking your head to fix your tussled hair.

"Hey, there's word that you've taken in a rogue gem that tried to off Steven?"

Your smile withered slightly, as you rubbed your arm as Spinel's lip twitched and a barely audible grumble emanated in her throat. Great first meeting.

"Well uhm-"

"That... would be me." Spinel lifted her hand, looking almost defeated as she wore a very bitter half smile.

Vidalia looked up, her eyebrows lifting into a look of pleasant surprise as she looked her shape up and down. "Oh, it's another one of your type!" She exclaimed cheerily, making spinel flinch in surprise. "What name do you go by?"

"Em... Spinel is all." Spinel replied uncertainly. Even with the word getting spread the way it did, this organic woman still seemed unusually... friendly.

Her smile somehow brightened as she reached out her hand to the pink gem. "Well, welcome to earth, spinel!" Spinel hesitated, but took the human's hand, giving it a gentle, if a little uneasy handshake. You beamed brightly at the sight, happy at the positive interaction between the two. "Em... Th-thanks."

"Let me tell ya, the one who's housing ya is probably the best gem earth has to offer." Vidalia mused, with a light-hearted chuckle. "Aside from the Steven and his group, that is."

Spinel lifted her brow in interest. "Yeah?" You're a bit more popular here than she expected...

"Definitely. She's practically an expert in just about everything earthwise." Vidalia patted your head, eliciting a soft, modest giggle from you. Despite herself, Spinel found herself smirking at the friendly organic woman. "That's a relief. Seems the pebble knows everything about this rock- er planet." She chuckled softly before looking down and rubbing the back of her head in modesty. "Thanks for the uh... introduction."

"No problem!" The woman patted the gem's shoulder reassuringly. "Newbies are always welcome. Especially cute ones like yourself."

"Heh... I-I'm gonna have to disagree with ya there..." Spinel gave a sad smile as she gestured to herself blandly. "I... I ain't half as cute as I used ta be..."

"Oh come on, don't be hard on yourself! It's a good look!" Vidalia smiled, nudging her arm playfully with her fist. "I haven't seen any gems that have this whole 'jester' aesthetic. You pull it off real nicely."

Spinel's eyes go wide in surprise. She wasn't expecting compliments like this, let a lone those from a human she's only met for about a minute. "Ah geez..." she pulls her pigtails down, wrapping them around her face to hide her blush. "Y-you're too kind."

"It's true, miss spinny." You chirped, elbowing her side playfully. "You're still pleasing to look at, regardless of your form." Spinel, mildly overwhelmed by the abundance of compliments, hid her face behind her pigtails. Vidalia chuckled at the redness in Spinel's face. "Hey, maybe next time you both swing by here I can teach the class about contrast."

Slowly releasing her pigtails from her hold, and spared a look up at the kind human. "I dunno what that means, but it sounds like a plan." Spinel smiled, a small but very happy smile. "So uh... what's to this kinda art stuff?"

"Oh it's a really fun earth activity!" You cheerfully Piped. "You can pretty much express your self or anything you think of onto paper!"

"Well, more than that." Vidalia reminded. "You can use wood, ice, stone... basically anything. And it comes in a lot of different forms. Like wood burning, ceramics, sculpting..." She started to list off a few things that came to mind. "But those are in that Lapis gem's department. What we do here is mostly drawing and painting."

Spinel stared for a long amount of time. "...ya lost me."

You both giggled lightly and you took her hand into yours. "That's okay! We'll show you!" You looked to Vidalia. "Ya got any spare supplies for us?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"And this is how you draw a rainbow!"

You finished adding the purple, watching as the color merged in perfectly with the blue.

"Huh... kinda funny how the colors sorta fuse together like that." Spinel muttered, as she made a few doodles on her own side of the large paper that was provided. "Makin' all sorts a' weird shades and colors..."

"Yeah, they mix quite nicely, don't cha think?" You mused, deciding to add in a little smiley face to your colorful creation. "Earth's got some pretty cool activities here, wouldn't ya say?"

Spinel looks at your rainbow piece, watching as you drew a smiley face into the doodle.

"I'll say..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~

I probably made Vidalia too friendly here, but she seems like the jolly kinda person.