18: little homeschool: cellphones

"Well, that was an interesting class."

Spinel notes, using her pigtail to wipe a layer of sweat off her brow. "Didn't think you'd know so much about... metal n' smeltering..."

You giggled lightly, wiping a bit of ash off your gloves. "It's pronounced smelting, miss spinny."

"Don't correct me." She grumbled, fanning herself. That residual heat still seemed to follow her. And the sun's light wasn't do her any favors either. "But yeah, I don't think blacksmithing is for me... too much... details n' tools n' junk..." she rubbed her arms, frowning at the faint phantom ache in them. "A bit stuffy as well..."

You shrugged, wearing a smug smirk. "That's okay. Not all gems fit the blacksmithing bismuth!"

You chortle lightly at your little pun, before looking up at spinel with a wide goofy smile across your face. "Get it? Bismuth? Business?"

 "Get it? Bismuth? Business?"

"...Ahem, anyhow there's another class here that doesn't involve as much heat and metal."

You beckoned her with a hand to follow as you turned on your heel, still bearing your awkward grin as you speed walked to your next class leaving spinel to stand there to mull over your pun.

"...Tch." Despite herself the faintest of smiles curled her lips as she followed behind you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"And if you want to send someone a message, you simply go to this icon here and--"

"Heya, miss pearl!"

Pearl pauses her lecture at the sound of a young voice, and turns to see you approach. A bright smile lit up her face and she turned to face you. "Oh! Hello! You're (name), yes?"

You nodded cheerfully. "That's me!" Pearl's eyes scanned the area around you and lifted her brow. "Where's spinel?"

You looked behind you, and found that spinel has indeed disappeared from your sight. "Huh? Miss spinel?"

You turned around and took a few steps away from pearl, putting a hand upto your forehead while stretching your legs forward in a cartoonish attempt to spot your pink playmate. "Come on out, silly! It's okay, I promise!"

You were met with silence as your eyes scanned possible hiding spots. But after about a minute, spinel reluctantly stepped into view from behind a building, and slowly made her way over to you, her head hung low in modesty. "Ya didn't tell me pink's pearl would be runnin' this show..." she grumbled in a grouchy voice. You smiled cheerfully and took her hand, leading her back in front of pearl. "It'll be fine!" Beaming up at pearl, you have a grand flourish to spinel. "Here she is!"

Spinel stood slumped for a second before braving a look up to see the pearl's blue eyed gaze. "Heya pearl..." she greeted awkwardly, rubbing the back of her head. "It's uh... it's been a while." Pearl stared for a moment before giving a polite smile. "It has," she nodded. "But it's good to see you're doing good now."

Spinel scoffed, grinning half-heartedly. "I wouldn't go that far." She chuckled dryly. "I'm fine now, but ya know..."

Pearl's smile faltered slightly at her implication and you felt your shoulders sag a bit at the somber look on her face. "Spinel-" you were cut off by spinel holding her hand up and shaking her head. "It's fine kid. Just..." she takes a deep breath and sighs. "What kinda gimmicks ya got goin' on here?"

Pearl sneered in sympathy, but nevertheless elaborated her class. "Here, I teach how to operate human technology." She then holds up a small flat screened device in her hand matter-of-factly. "Phones in particular."

"Phones?" Spinel lifted her brow. "What do those do?"

You perked up at this question. "A human's way of long-distance communication! It's a real nifty device. And you can even customize it! Lookie!" Putting a hand upto your gem, you pulled out your own phone which was a(n) (brand). The case was (color) with a (design) popsocket.

Spinel squints her eyes at the small device. "...I don't get it."

Pearl chuckles. "Here, have a demonstration. (Name) can I see your phone for a moment?" You nodded and handed your phone over, watching with a smile as she typed your number into her phone, after which she hands your device to spinel. Spinel stares at it before looking at the pearl in question. "Now, watch carefully." She instructs as she presses a button on her phone.

(Ringtone)!

"BWAH!" Spinel yelps as your phone suddenly flashed to life, blaring a (ringtone) tune at her, almost causing her to drop the device from the shock. She stared wide eyed at the phone unsure of what to do now. She looks over at you, her eyes pleading for assistance, to which you whisper; "just press the green button and hold it upto your head." She hesitates, but does as she's told, pressing the button and slowly putting the device upto where her ear would be.

"Hello, spinel!" Pearl chirps cheerfully into the phone.

"YAH!!"

This time the surprise of hearing Pearl's voice directly into her metaphoric ear was proven too much, and she flung you phone up into the air, in which you quick catch with a stretch or your arm. All around you, the spying students giggled at the cartoonish reaction and spinel felt her cheeks burn in bashfulness. "Nah-uh! No way!" She turns away from you, crossing her arms into a pout. "I don't like it!"

"Aw, but ya didn't even get to the best parts yet!" You pouted, holding your phone up to the grouchy pink gem. "Ya know there's a lot more neat things here! Like TubeTube, a neat site you can read and write stories--"

"Nada!" Spinel growls, tensing her shoulders in a manner that was slightly funny, and you found yourself repressing a giggle.

"There's games to."

Spinel's shoulders relaxed almost instantly after you said this.

"Lenme try again."

She turns and plucks the phone out of Pearl's hands, making the gem yelp from the suddenness of the action. "What kinda games are we talking?"

You giggled. "Well, there's this one really fun game where everything's made of blocks and ya gotta-"

"What the-?" Spinel's jerks her head back in surprise. "What am I doing on here?"

"Huh?" You stretched your legs upto her height and peered into the device and found your own face staring back at you as well as hers. "Oh, you activated the camera."

"Camera?" She repeats, narrowing her eyes in confusion. "What's that for??"

"Ooh, allow me!" You actived your own phone's camera and smiled up at the tall gem beside spinel. "Pearl, would you like to join in?"

Pearl giggles. "I'd be delighted to!"

"Wait, join in on what?" You suddenly stretched to her height and wrapped an arm around her shoulders as well as pearl coming in close to her as well making her flinch. "Say cheese!"

"Wait, what-?"

Snap!