Chapter 12

Now

December 31st, 2012

11:30 PM

New Years Eve

NARRATOR'S POV

Ella Castings sat down on a small bench in Harry's backyard. The party loomed around her, but mostly booming with sound on the inside. She brandished an entire bottle of wine, and was steadily sipping from it, falling more and more into her drunken state each second.

Therese came and sat down next to her as Louis danced in a far off corner of the backyard with a dark-haired girl. She sighed giddily, also drunk, as were most of the party-goers.

"I think I'm in love!" Therese said to her.

"With who!" Ella asked excitedly, though she had never met her.

"Louis!"

"Vuitton?" She asked stupidly.

"No!" Therese frowned, but then brightened again, "Tomlinson!"

Ella 'oohed' appropiately, and then shrieked.

A rainbow butterfly had landed on her elbow.

And she was deathly afraid of all bugs, including butterflies and ladybugs. She tried frantically whacking it off, even hitting it with her wine, but that only clashed against her elbow with a hard thump. It was sure to leave a bruise.

"Get off!"She yelled, as if it would help.

Then, the butterfly morphed into a tiny rainbow bird, and relaxed on her shoulder.

Ella's heartbeat slowed, and she calmed down, opening her wine back up again, downing the last sip.She left the bench to make the short walk to the cooler to grab a tall bottle of beer, smirking.

If there was one thing she was good at, it was heavy drinking.

What could she say? She was an Ireland girl. They were naturals at this kind of thing.

She popped open her tab on beer, and as she sat back down, Therese flew up, and sprang towards Louis and started dancing with him. He grabbed her face, planted a big kiss on her lips, and skipped off.

A blond boy ran across, with a responsible brunette boy trailing behind him, "Niall, Niall! Stop chasing the rainbow bird! There is no rainbow bird!"

Niall will never find the rainbow bird. Ella thought cockily. Because it's hidden on top of my shoulder.

A couple of beer swigs later, a song started playing. Ella bobbed her head to the familiar beat.

Then, a voice she wanted to swoon over began ringint out behind her softly.

"I used to think that I was better alone

Why did I ever want to let you go?"

Ella turned around to see Niall. She shook her head, and resumed her original position, her good mood slowly fading.

"Dance with me," Niall said nearly a moment after.

She knew he was speaking about her. "No." She said, not looking at him.

He gently grabbed her hand anyways, and pulled her up. She didn't have much self-control left, and pulling away from him was off the list in this drunken state.

Yeah we were together, summer '09

Wanna roll back like pressin' rewind

You were mine and we never said goodbye

I-I-I-I used to think that I was better alone

Why did I ever wanna let you go

Unde the moonlight as we stared at the sea

The words you whispered I will always believe

At this point, Niall was staring into her green eyes, which were sad, yet still sparkled even brighter than the stars.

"I'm going to kiss you now..." He said softly.

Ella didn't process it fast enough, because he ended up placing his lips on hers anyways.

She sighed into the kiss, remembering old times.

Their lips morphed together, moving in rhythm with the song playing out in the house behind them. Niall slid his hand to the back of her neck, tilting her head upward.

As the kiss deepened, Ella finally pulled away, first for air, and then she fully realized what had just happened.

Niall.

Just.

Kissed.

Me.

Her reddened lips hung open in disbelief, and she had the sudden urge to slap him across the face, but couldn't bring herself to touch him again, for fear of him controlling her emotions like he had when he placed his soft pink lips on hers.

She began shaking with rage, and once she could feel her legs again, she sprinted off, tears flying past her like shooting stars.

Ella grabbed Coleen's car keys out of her pocket and hurried into her car and just sobbed into the gray leather seats.

Fuck love.

Fuck boys.

Fuck Niall.

Fuck New Years.

Fuck trust.

Fuck One Direction.

Fuck rainbow butterflies.

Fuck life.

Fuck everything!

Ella felt so alone, so terrible at that moment.

The boy she loved had left her, betrayed her, and thought it was okay to kiss her like that.

She seemed to have fallen out of her drunk stupor, due to the kiss, and she wiped her red and burning eyes, hiccuping, and blinking rapidly.

Coleen later discovered Ella at around 3 AM, and hugged her tight.

"You're not alone." Colly told her comfortingly.

The thing was, Ella was alone. She'd been alone for 2 whole years. And for possibly more years to come.

-----