Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

Now

December 9th, 2012

I stiffened.

Did I just hear... No... It couldn't be.

I grimaced as I slowly turned around, to face him.

"It is you!" Niall Horan said, giving me a smile.

My heart panged at the mere sight of him, but I pushed any of those feelings away. "Niall." I greeted simply, not smiling back at him.

He reached over and pulled me into a hug. He still smelled like Armani, his same cologne, and a bit of peppermint. He was so warm, and it was almost like old times... I pushed him away. "Don't touch me." I said coldly.

Oh, God. This hurt. This was hurting a lot.

His grin faltered, and he blinked his beautiful blue eyes. "El?" he said softly.

Oh, how I missed those eyes. Clear, crystal blue, and so beautiful.

I ignored him, and paid the cashier. "Can you get me my food quickly, please?" I asked.

The cashier shrugged, and handed me a soda cup. I snatched it and darted off to the soda machine.

No. This can not be happening. I'm dreaming. This has to be a nightmare.

I filled my large soda up with Dr. Pepper. My favorite.

"Still your favorite?" His voice came up behind me.

I jerked, and some of the soda spilled over.

I faced him with a glare, and his blue eyes showed his hurt. This was the first time I'd ever seen that look come from me, and my stomach clenched. "Why does it matter?" I asked bluntly.

I never was one to sugarcoat things.

His whole face showed his hurt now, but he pointed to the jacket I was wearing, his jacket. "Is that—"

"Leave me alone." I cut across, snapping at him. "Just leave me alone." My fingers were shaking, tears filled my eyes, and I prayed he didn't notice.

I stormed across to the cashier. "Food. Now." I said.

The cashier smirked, the first sign of emotion I'd seen in him this entire time, and handed me my food.

When I whirled around, I saw Niall still standing by the soda machine next to the counter, staring at me. I thought I saw tears in his expressive blue eyes, but I walked out too quickly to be sure.

I ignored the rain, ignored my tears that burned my eyes, ignored Niall's eyes burning into my back, and stepped in my car.

I then proceeded to drive at illegal speeds back to my home.

When I got home, I watched a ton of Make It or Break It on Netflix, while eating my McDonalds. Then it was more Make It Or Break It, but with ice cream. And then still more with the pizza I ordered.

Food comforts me. Don't judge.

I called the hospital before I went to bed.

"Ella?" Nurse Jenna asked.

Jen was the closest thing I had to a friend nowadays.

"Hey, Jen. How's my dad?" I asked.

"He's doing alright right now, but we're keeping a close watch on him." She answered me.

"Okay, call me right away if anything comes up." I told her.

"I will," She promised, "And I'm sorry to bring this up... But I heard he's back." She said slowly, hesitantly.