Chapter 27

"I won't let anyone decide my fate except for myself."

With that thought, long needed sleep consumes me. All the noise and angry chaos dissipates, leaving my exhausted body to rest. It's peaceful once more.

•••

(Y/n) hadn't shown up to school for the past few days, making Chi's worry reach a whole new level. Her frantic, blue eyes scour the classroom from the doorway, but to no avail, (y/n) isn't there. Chi's lips curl into a pout, eyebrows knitting together. She turns on her heels and walks through the hallways for the third time.

"Where is that girl?! She better not be skipping school and leaving me to fend off all the dogs!" Chi thinks to herself.

As Chi continues to roam the hallways before class begins, she scans the passing students. Her eyes don't catch the known appearance of (y/n), but they do catch a particular grey eyed man. Chi's lips curl up into a toothy grin.

"Hibiki!"

The male looks up from his phone, tucking it away into his pocket. He waves at Chi as she approaches him. His heart rate picks up slightly, palms sweating. Hibiki stares at Chi's bright form, admiring her beautiful facial features. The way Chi smiled, the way her voice flowed like music, the way her eyes twinkled, the way her lips parted and connected. Everything felt peaceful to Hibiki.

"Hello? Earth to Hibiki," Chi says, waving her hand in front of Hibiki's gaze.
He blinks a few times.

"Uh... Sorry?"

Chi lets out an exasperated sigh, puffing her cheeks out childishly.

"It's Friday and (y/n) hasn't shown up to class. Do you know where she is? Have you heard from her," Chi asks.

Hibiki's fluttering heart stutters in its rhythmic pattern, beating to a new tempo; fear. The sweat in his palms turns clammy and cold. His throat tightens, as if swallowing a hard pill.

"No, I haven't." he lies.

Chi's lips turn down slightly as her face contorts into one of worry. She sighs.

"I'm worried about her Hibiki... She was acting odd on Monday... I should've just pushed her to tell me what was wrong," Chi mumbles, blaming herself.

Hibiki's jaw tightens, a bitter taste lingering on his dry tongue. He lies again.

"Last I heard from her was on Tuesday. Said she was moving to England with her dad."

Chi's eyes widen and lock with Hibiki's to read if he's lying or not. She picks up nothing. A strong sense of sadness washes over her, a piece of her heart feeling empty. Chi's hands ball into fists, her body trembling slightly to hold back her tears.

"There's no way..." she whispers.

Hibiki adjusts his glasses to relax his body that's submerged in the tense atmosphere.

"I'm sorry, Chi. I should've-"

"There's no way! (Y/n) wouldn't leave without saying goodbye! She's our friend! That's just-! That's not her," Chi voices, her loud volume attracting the surrounding people.

Hibiki glances around to the passing schoolmates, his brows creasing. He thinks quickly, grabbing onto Chi's arms.

"She's gone, Chi. Just accept the fact that she's not coming back to school," Hibiki says in a low voice.

Chi's eyes widen, tearing up slightly. Hibiki lets her go, walking past the strawberry blonde and into his designated classroom. Chi stands by herself in the hallway, collecting herself before heading into her own class.