Chapter 5

"Welcome to Chocolats Fantaisie," a rasp yet ginger voice greets.

I turn my starry gaze over to a petite lady with wrinkled cocoa skin and silver hair. She has one of those old lady smiles that makes your heart swell. Her rustic hazel eyes have a set of thin rimmed glasses sitting on the bridge of her nose. A small golden necklace laces itself around her neck with a small ruby ring hanging off of it. "Are you looking for anything specific?"

I shake my head. "No ma'am."

"What brought you here then," she asks, walking up to me.

"I guess the light and smell. It feels warm in here," I reply, gazing around at all the french features.

She chuckles, grabbing both of my hands. "Please, come try some new candies," she says in a french accent.

She pulls me over to two seater table with navy blue, leather seats and a hickory table. I sit down, making myself comfortable.

"Wait here," she commands, heading behind the counter.

I wait, setting my backpack next to me. I pull out my phone, scanning through any messages or missed phone calls.

"Bon appetit," the lady implies, a silver tray of gorgeous looking chocolates sitting before me.

My (e/c) eyes widen. There's white chocolate, milk chocolate, and an extravagant amount of other kinds of chocolate. My gaze hovers above everything, trying to decide which chocolate to eat first. I grab a small lump of milk chocolate, the outside shell hard. I bring it up to my lips, gobbling the whole thing.

There's a flourish of colorful tastes that pops in my mouth. It tastes sweet like vanilla but it has a tang of berry that strikes the back of my mouth. The outside shell with fudge drizzled on it melts. It's dissolves into a pool of yumminess.

"How is it," the lady asks, sitting across from me.
I think for the right words. "It's very good! The taste just melts."

"Any tips?"

I stare at the lady. "Tips?"

"Oui! As in tips for making it better," she replies, smiling sweetly.

I think, shooting another chocolate in my mouth. "I think it's perfect. You enjoy making them right?"

She nods.

"Then, I think if you're making everything in this store with love, then everything is perfect."

I shoot another chocolate in my mouth, biting into it. My tastebuds flare. The french lady looks at me with a confused look. "What's wrong," she asks, a soft smile peeling onto her face.

"Taste... bad... " I say, my face going sour.

The lady bursts out laughing, her chortle calming and bright. I swallow quickly, shoving a few of the berry chocolates in my mouth. "It's no good huh?"

I shake my head. "It taste like... chocolate and... socks."

Another hearty laugh rings through the shop. "That's what my sons said. It's supposed to be hōjicha flavored," she explains.

I ponder a bit, trying to recall what the chocolate tasted like. "Try less tea and keep the chocolate consistent. I think having dark chocolate would also even out the flavor for people who like bitter tasting sweets."

"Jeena."

"Sorry?" I answer confused.

"Jeena. That's my name," she says, taking the empty tray from in front of me.