Chapter 12: Birthday Barbecue

And here, is when you'll be finally excited to read more...maybe. :P 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

"Kathy!" She squealed as she hugged mom, and then dad and after getting to know who she was, she began chatting with Sixx on the bench in our lawn. "What?!" I said loudly. "Doesn't the birthday boy get a hug from his best friend?"

Kim looked over at me, gave a world class grin and walked over to me, enveloping me in a warm hug. I closed my arms around her back and buried my face in her strawberry scented hair. Ohh.

Can't I just freeze time and say everything I've kept cooped up in me for so long and touch her lips, one more time, and just tell her she means everything to me, and then unfreeze time. Point? Well, yeah. There's no point because she wouldn't actually be hearing it, and she won't kiss back. Pointless.

"Kendall?" Came a muffled voice. I could hear the smirk. "You can let me go now."

"Oops! Sorry." I apologized and released her. Kevin, Kenneth and Dad snickered.

"Real mature guys. Real mature." I shook my head and helped mom set up the table and made the sauce to pour over the steaks that Kevin and Kenneth were grilling. I smiled as I saw Kim glance my way and then heard Sixx giggle. Are they talking about me? Maybe. 

I continued to watch her as I continued to slowly stir the liquid as it thickened.

"Promise me you'll love me as much as you love me right now." 

I gasped as I came back to reality and dropped the spoon I was using. I stared open-mouthed-ly at Kim; my breath was stuck in my throat. I shook my head, and left the porch. Mom picked up the spoon as she watched me leave. I went into the garage massaged my neck. It seemed to be full of saw dust.

My breath was coming in sharp strides. I tried to calm down, heaving huge sighs. I finally did and walked back into the sun and the smell of prepared food. I went and sat down beside Kevin who sat between me and Sixx along the rectangular table.

"Promise me." 

I was preoccupied all through the meal.

We promised to love each other.

"As much as you love me right now." 

But I love you more.

"What?!" Kevin nudged me.

"What?" I asked.

"Why are you talking to yourself?" He muttered to me.

"Kim." I mumbled back to him.

"I knew it!" He cheered. Everyone stared at him. He blushed.

"I, was not talking to any of you." He grumbled. Kenneth, Kim and I laughed and we returned to our food. Kim suddenly spoke up.

"Who made this sauce?" She asked, licking some of it off her lips. Can I do that?

"Kendall did." Mom answered her.

"It is 'f' word amazing." She said.

"You mean amazing af." Sixx chimed.

"Exactly!" She agreed. " Kendall, this is amazing. Af." She winked.

I chucked at her. I have to remind her of the promise she made me, and now she can't just forget about it. No.She's mine. I love her. She's needs to be with me. I'll do anything.

After we were done, I stood up and offered to clear the table. "Kim, can you help me with these?"

"Sure." She said and grabbed the rest of the plates and followed me into the kitchen.

"Whaddup?" She asked, leaning against the sink as I put the plates in the dishwasher.

"I wanted to ask you something." I told her.

"What?" She asked.

"D- d'you remember when we last saw each other? Back then?" I asked. Her smile faltered and she looked down. After a moment or two, she looked up and gave me a tiny nod and sad smile,

I moved closer to her. "Do you remember all of it?" I asked, getting even closer.

"I- I think so." She whispered, pushing her back into other counter. We were so close,  I could hear her breathing. I gently pulled her face up to mine.

"Then I'm just keeping my promise."